Nessa

(This takes place a month after the last chapter, nessas 13th birthday)

I open my eyes, it's my birthday and I'm so exited to get my present, I look to my left on my bedside table, my cupcake is already there, I never finish it.
I just don't like sweet things, they make you fat.
But this time I eat the whole thing.
"Happy birthday Nessa" I hear Elphie chime, she comes over to my bed and picks me up in her arms.
"Ready to go downstairs?"
"Oh yes!" I exclaim excitedly.
Elphaba carries me gently down the stairs, one step at a time, I'm not scared of going on the stairs anymore.
We finally get to the bottom step and she places my in my wheelchair.
Father steps out from the lounge, a huge smile stretched across his face.
"Follow me my sweet" he says beckoning me into the lounge.
I push myself in, Elphie scampers behind me.

Inside the room there a beautiful white grand piano, it's breathtaking.
I start to cry, silent tears of joy.
Father steps towards me and wheels me towards it, I see the matching piano seat off in the corner of the room.
I push myself slightly closer and press one of the keys.
It makes a quaint sound and I childishly squeal with delight.
Father smiles and places a book on the piano stand.
"Happy birthday nessarose" he says sweetly.
I hear Elphie shuffle around behind me,
I think she wants to speak to me.
I feel her fingers tap me on the shoulder.
I turn my head,
"Nessa here's your gift from me" Elphie says handing me a small white box with a teal bow, I open it slowly.
Inside is a locket in the shape of a silver rose.
I open the locket carefully, inside is a picture of me when I was younger and on the other side is a picture of Elphaba holding me as a baby.
"Oh Elphie i don't know what to say" I gasp looking at the necklace, I suddenly thrust it into her arms.
"Put it on me, put it on me!" I exclaim.
Elphie does as I beg and she pushes me away from my piano over to a large mirror that we keep in the hallway.
"Oh Elphie I love it"
"It looks wonderful on you Nessa" she says, placing a hand on my shoulder.
"Happy birthday" Elphie whispers joyfully.
I think my birthday is the one day of the year when I don't feel as different because everyone is treated differently on their birthday because it's their day.

I hear father approach behind us,
"What a thoughtful gift" he says dryly to Elphie.
Father pushes Elphabas hand off of me and puts his own arm around my shoulder.

Suddenly I feel all dizzy, I'm not sure why.
I rest my head in my hands.
"Father" I say quickly "can you take me up to bed, I feel ever so tired"
Father nods but looks concerned, he picks me up none the less and carries me upstairs into my bedroom, he places me down onto my bed on top of my covers.
Father pulls the lace curtains shut but leaves a small bit of light, whether it's intentional or not, I don't know.
Father leaves me alone.

I close my eyes and try to stop my head from spinning.
My eyes jolt open suddenly, I hear the door click open, I look across as best as I can.
Elphie creeps inside the room, she sees that my eyes are open and walks over to me.
"Are you okay?" She asks worriedly, "you look ever so pale"
"I'm fine, just tired" I snap, "can you close the curtains, father didn't shut them properly."
Elphie sighs and does as I say.
The room gets significantly darker and I close my eyes again.
"If you need anything, I'm just over here" Elphie says, I hear her bed creak as she sits down onto her bed, she's probably reading one of her strange books.
My head spins faster, I feel really strange.
"Elphie" I shout suddenly, "take me to the bathroom"
Elphie jumps up and picks me up, she looks around frantically for my wheelchair, but it's still downstairs.
She just carries me into the bathroom instead.
"Do you need the toilet or?" Elphie asks.
"Just lean me against it!" I shout, Elphie puts me down quickly and I vomit.

My throat stings, Elphie squeals and stands up abruptly, she starts to shake.
She hovers around me as I scramble around the toilet seat, trying to keep myself held up.
"Nessa!" Elphie shouts after a while, she crouches down beside me and leans me against her lap.
Father bursts in and drops to the floor beside me.
"Right" he says after a while "Elphaba give your sister to me"
Elphie nods and shakily passes me to father, I hate being spoken about like I'm an object but I have no strength to protest.
I feel so awful.

Father carries me over into my bed, he tucks the blanket in around me.
Father grabs Elphies only pillow and stuffs it behind me.
Elphie goes and sits on her bed, she wrings her hands.
Father strokes the side of my face and storms downstairs.
A little while later one of our maids comes up into the bathroom, probably to clean up after me.
Elphie gets up off of her bed and comes over to me, she examines my bedside table.
"You ate your cake?" Elphie quizzes,
I nod my head.
She looks suspicious,
"Nessa, when was the last time you had a proper meal?"
I have to really think, I can't remember the last time I actually finished my food.
But I have a good reason, a reason I'm ashamed of.
"Elphaba shut up, that has nothing to do with anything"
Elphie narrows her eyebrows.
"Nessa, answer me" she says persistently.
"I don't remember!" I cry, Elphie pushes my pillows up so I'm sat up.
"Why aren't you eating properly?" She asks, I feel scared now.
"I'm not telling you, you will just tell father" I whisper harshly,
"I won't, we can just tell him that the cake was bad or somthing" Elphie mumbles.
I look away from her.
"I don't want to be fat" I cry.
Elphie laughs,
"You could never be fat Nessa what are you talking about!"
I shudder,
"I'm going to go to school next year and I know I'm not going to be that girl, so I can at least do the one thing I'm good at, be pitied"
I sound awfully vain but I don't care, it's the only thing that keeps people around me.
Because they feel bad.