Elphie

(This chapter takes place after Elphaba and Fiyero decide to run away)

"We have to go back" I say stubbornly to Fiyero, "I know the right spell, I can save her"
After weeks of studying this wretched book, I've finally found a spell that could bring back Nessa.
I have to do it, I've never felt more guilty about anything.
My own sister and I just left her to perish.
"Elphaba I know you want to but it's too dangerous" Fiyero says, I know he's right but I can't just leave her there.
"No one will know, because we will be invisible" I say triumphantly flicking to an invisibility spell.
Fiyero sighs,
"If I can't convince you otherwise then I'm coming with you!" He says bravely.
I don't protest because to tell the truth I want him to come.
This beautiful cottage that we live in has just enough room for Nessa.
I have so much apologising to do.

I mutter the invisibility spell and then a teleportation one, luckily I can still see Fiyero.
Then I see it, that farm girls house and nessas dainty little legs sticking out from under it.
I thought I could do this but it's too much.
I grab hold of Fiyero and collapse into his arms, sobbing loudly.
He covers my mouth with his hand.
"Elphaba, you have to be strong, you don't know what you going to see under there so you have to be able to handle it"
I nod at him and stand back up, I rush over to her feet.
I hate seeing her shoeless, that stupid Dorothy should never have had them, it's the one thing I'll never fully forgive Glinda for.
I flip through my spell book to find the perfect spell to move the house.
I settle with a rotting spell.
I whisper it as to not alert anyone nearby.
The wood stars to crumble away into dust.
Me and Fiyero cover our faces to shield us from it, then I look over.
She's perfect, not even a scratch.
As if she's sleeping but she's so pale.
Then I remember, the preservation spell, it kept her looking fine even when she died.
Fiyero puts his hand on my shoulder.
"We shouldn't do it here, we should take her home" he says wisely,
I stare down at my sister, tears pricking at my eyes.
"Your right, help me lift her"
Fiyero nods and gently picks her up in his arms.
She looks so peaceful, like when she used to fall asleep downstairs and I'd have to carry her to bed.
Oh Nessa,
I'm so sorry.
I place my hand on Fiyero and mutter the teleportation spell again.

Me and Fiyero open our eyes, all of us made it back safely.
"Put her on the bed," I command sternly, this spell has to be perfect, there can be no mistakes.
I throw open the book to the page I'd bookmarked.
"Elphie stop" Fiyero says suddenly "what if it doesn't work?"
"No, it has to" I mutter,
"Elphie you can save everyone, look at me" he says wearily, I stare at him, his cloth face and straw stuffed seams.
"You know she wouldn't want to end up like me" Fiyero says wisely.
"Please" I say "just let me try"
I mutter to spell whilst Fiyero keeps a close watch of Nessa,
I finish the chant, I stare at her eyes, hoping to see some sign of life.
They are so glass like and grey,
I turn away to weep when suddenly a hand shoots out and touches my arm.
"Fiyero get off me, I'm not in the mood" I say tearfully,
"Elphie..." I hear a frail familiar voice call out.
Nessa!
I turn around joyfully, Fiyero taps me on the shoulder and signals that he's going to leave the room.

It's just me and Nessa, she hadn't spoken since she first said my name, her eyes scanning the room.
"Where am I?" She comes out with finally.
I don't know how to respond because I'm not sure where we are.
"Someplace safe" I mutter, Nessa looks scared.
I smile at her.
"Elphie I'm so sorry, I should have listened when you told me what father did... to me" Nessa sniffs,
I shake my head slowly,
"No nessa, I'm sorry I should have never left you... I thought I'd lost you... all my fault" I babble incoherently, Nessa looks confused.
She stares down at her legs and looks like she's in pain.
"Nessa what are you doing?" I ask
"It was the shoes" she mutters "I can't move, Elphie"
Those words hit me like a brick, we don't have a wheelchair here, Nessa is going to hate it.
I was so selfish bringing her back.
I look down at my sister and think about everything, all our fights, all the times that father ruined any chance we had of a normal sisterly relationship.
"Elphaba I have to go back" Nessa days suddenly "it's my duty to govern Munchkin Land"
I feel my lip quiver,
"And it's always been my duty to look after you Nessa and I can't go back" I say, my words shaking.
We sit in silence for a while.

Nessa looks over at the door,
"Who was that, in here before"
"Fiyero" I whisper, "don't say anything I did what I had to"
Nessa looks sad, she looks all around the room frantically.
"Elphie I always thought about you" she says "I didn't hate you, I was just so upset and confused"
"I know ness, I know" I say, I slide my hand under her back and pull her up, I sit on on the bed beside her, Nessa puts her arm around my shoulder and holds herself up.
"Ness, are you happy?" I ask anxiously,
Nessa looks at me, she looks small and frail.
"I'm not sure, I've done some horrible things Elphie, unforgivable things" she says crying slightly.
I hold her tightly.
"So have I,"
"Did father truly love me Elphie?"
I look at her, how could she ask something like that?
"Of course he did Nessa, why do you ask that?"
Nessa sniffs,
"Or was it just out of guilt for what he did?"
I stroke nessas hair gently,
"Father was full of guilt, but that didn't make him love you any less" I say solemnly, Nessa nods taking in what I had said.
"I have one more thing to ask" she says politely,
"Yes?"
"What happened to my shoes?"
I look around the room.
"Long story."