Nessa

I stare at my reflection in my mirror.
Imperfect.
That all I can hear whenever I look at myself, Boc won't find me pretty for long.
Suddenly there's a loud crash from my wardrobe, I turn myself around.
I scream loudly as the figure of my sister steps out from within the closet.
"I didn't mean to scare you" she says frantically, I breath heavily, Elphaba comes and crouches by my feet.
"It's good to see you" she says smiling, I'm too full of rage and sadness to reply.
Does she even know what she's done?
"I need fathers help" she says tugging at my skirt,
"That's impossible" I mutter,
"No it's not!" Elphaba says anxiously "not if you ask him, he will do it for you, he will do anything for you"
I scowl at Elphaba, I cannot express how much hatred I have for her in this moment.
"Fathers dead, he died of shame after he'd learnt what you had done, to those creatures" I shout angrily "I'm the governor now"
I can feel myself shaking, whether it's out of anger or fear I do not know.
Elphaba stands up and turns to face me,
"It's for the best"
"Elphaba that's such a wicked thing to say" I screech,
"It's true Nessa, because now it's just us and you can help me"
Me help her?
"Elphie shut up" I growl "you've done all these things and you have never thought for one second to come and help me"
I'm so angry, I'm crying and screaming at the same time, I'm half expecting Boc to come rushing in expecting someone to be attacking me.
"Nessa there isn't a spell for everything..." Elphie begins,
"Enough" I command "you may have hated father but I didn't, he cared so much about me and he was one of the few people who I could trust, he would never have done anything to hurt me and now he's gone!"
I sob loudly.
Elphaba crouches down and tries to comfort me, but I'm having none of it, how dare she come here asking for my help.
"I don't want your pity, I want my father" I shout pushing myself away from Elphie.
"It's fathers fault" Elphaba splutters,
I narrow my eyes,
"What are you talking about?"
Elphie looks like a rabbit about to be hunted.
"Father fed mother milk flower, it's the reason mother died... it's the reason your like this" Elphie shouts back at me, her eyes widen, she quickly covers her mouth.
I don't believe it, I won't believe it.
"Your just making up excuses, I don't want to hear it anymore, I won't have you tarnish fathers memory,just go!"

Elphie pulls out a large book from her long black cloak.
She begins to scan through the pages, then she begins to speak in an odd confusing language.
"What are you saying?" I ask loudly, then all of a sudden, I feel somthing.
Something in my feet!
It's almost like a burning sensation.
It's getting worse as Elphaba continues her chant.
"My shoes!" I screech pushing myself backwards, I flap my hands around my feet trying to cool them down.
I've never felt anything at all like this.
"They feel like they are on fire, what are you doing to my shoes..."
Elphie finishes reading from her book and stares at me.
Suddenly I lurch forward uncontrollably,
I look down, my foot!
My foot is resting on the ground, then it happens again.
I'm standing!
I'm actually standing up.
I see Elphabas face light up as I go to take a step, I fall down onto the floor.
Elphie holds out her hand for me to grab ahold of.
"No" I say boldly "don't help me."
I sit up by myself, something I've never done before without the use of my arms as a support.
I grab hold of one of my legs and prop it up, then the other.
I push myself up again.
I'm standing, all on my own.
"Oh Nessa!" Elphie exclaims hugging me briefly, "I've done what long ago I should and finally something good has come from these wretched powers of mine."

I rush over to my desk and grab hold of my bell, I ring it furiously,
"Boc come quickly!" I exclaim loudly, I rush back over to my chair and position myself in it carefully.
"Nessa stop no one can know I'm here..." Elphie blurts out too late.

Boc comes rushing in,
"What do you need Madame Governor" he spies Elphaba in the corner "you! Don't come any closer your as wicked as your sister"
Boc points to me.
"Boc what are you talking about?" Elphaba says sternly,
"She's been stripping the munchkins of the few rights we have, I'm not free to leave munchkin land... no one is!" Boc growls "and I cant think of one good reason why."
I look over anxiously at Elphaba, then at Boc
"To keep you with me but none of that matters anymore... look!" I say standing up, I stumble over to Boc, he looks so exited.
"You did this for her?" Boc says looking at Elphaba "Nessa this is incredible, perhaps now you won't mind me leaving"
Leaving?
"Glindas engagement to Fiyero was staged, I have to tell her how I feel tonight!"

I stagger backwards, towards my desk.
I place my hands on it to hold myself up.
"You never loved me did you?" I cry "you just wanted to impress Glinda that you'd taken pity on a sad pathetic girl"
Boc shakes his head, but I know he's lying.
"I'm sick of everyone leaving me, where's my happiness!" I shout, Boc takes a step backwards,
"Don't come any closer" he shouts, his voice shaking wildly.
"How could you play with my feelings like that, I loved you Boc, I believed you when you called me beautiful"
Elphaba grabs ahold of me but I shake her off,
"Nessa let him go"
I drop to the floor and look through Elphies spell book.
"I'm sorry Boc, you may have not had feeling for me but mine, mine were real!"
I begin to chant the spell on the page before me.
"Nessa stop, your saying it all wrong!"

Suddenly boc screams,
"My heart, it feels like it's shrinking, he collapses into my chair.
"Boc!" I scream, "Elphie do something"
I start to cry Elphaba pushes me out of the way and skims through the spell book.
"I didn't want this to happen, I just wanted to feel loved again!" I weep, sinking down against my desk.
"My poor Boc, I don't deserve him, I don't deserve anything!"