➼chapter 9; dominos and ponytails

❁❁❁

❁❁❁

That night the Mallards, along with Magnolia and Ramona had stayed in the girls' tent with Ginny and Hermione, since theirs was burned down. Maisie thankfully had a bottle of Skele-gro in her rucksack (in case Serena ended up breaking a bone in her excitement), and Ramona was healed up in the next hour.

The next morning everyone that were still at the campsite took the first Portkey back, wanting to return to the safety of their home as soon as possible. Magnolia had left to Mallard household to return to her own home on her mother's orders, but mostly because she wanted to be sure her older sister, Azalea was alright. Ramona only returned to her house in the suburbs of London to gather her school belongings; having no reason to stay with her parents, she went back to stay with the Mallards, who warmly welcomed her.

When Magnolia joined them two days later with a hastily packed trunk and hyperactive owl; she was in a foul mood she didn't want to discuss, but her mood instantly brightened with a game a Quidditch, two on one because Ramona didn't dare take one foot of the ground.

Ramona, on the other hand, was given the difficult task of persuading the two girls to do their summer schoolwork. "Come on, you two! You've had all summer long, and you leave it until we return to Hogwarts in six days?"

Serena rolled her eyes. "We can't all be like you, reading chapters ahead and turning in homework early. When did you do your summer assignment? The first week off?"

Ramona proudly nodded while Magnolia snorted. "No, more like the first day off. Besides, it's only Potions, Charms, Transfiguration, and Herbology. You know I can finish two within the hour."

Serena scoffed, crossing her arms. "Ramona's a brilliant try hard and Magnolia's a naturally born genius. And what am I?"

"A naturally born idiot?"

"Magnolia!"

Eventually, Ramona was able to get Magnolia, Serena, and even Iyla, to finish their schoolwork over the week, much to their dismay. And when the night August 31st arrived, there was a tangible cloud of end of summer gloom draped over the four girls gathered in the living room, sipping on vanilla milkshakes as they joked around the fire. No one wanted to be the first to head to bed, knowing that when they woke up tomorrow morning, they would be starting school once more.

It took Maisie levitating their mugs away to get the four up the stairs and into their beds, staring up at the ceiling and wondering what crazy thing would happen this year.

~~~

The next morning was hectic, to say the least. Ramona and Iyla had responsibly gotten up early, making sure their trunks  were packed and were to go. Magnolia and Serena, on the other had, were woken up an hour before the Hogwarts Express was supposed to leave, convinced Maisie had told them it was eight in the morning rather than ten. And because they hadn't fully packed the night before, the two girls were stuffing whatever they thought their needed into their trunks, jumping two stairs at a time while Maisie brought their trunks down with a flick of her wand.