➼chapter 32; black lakes and golden eggs

❁❁❁

❁❁❁

SERENA STORMED OUT OF the garden, tears blinding her vision. She didn't want to cry but was too upset to stop it. Timothée was still waiting for her in the frigid night, but she couldn't confront him. She knew he felt terrible for the kiss and probably thought Serena had left and wasn't planning on coming back. Except, she would have, but just couldn't face anyone at the moment.

Before she knew it, Serena found herself at the Black Lake. It was beautiful out; the sparkling stars and bright moon were reflected on the smooth surface of the water, calm and serene, contrasting the swirl of emotions rumbling inside Serena.

She stumbled down the hill toward the dock, the chill from the snow enveloping her in a permanent frost. It wasn't until she reached the dock when she saw a figure already sitting at the edge. Quickly wiping her tears away so she could see, Serena carefully walked forward, eyes trained on the silhouette that was focused on the shining moon above. "Who's there?"

The girl finally reached the edge to see none other than Magnolia Mulberry with her hands in her lap, feet kicking at the water below. "Hey, Serena," she said without turning away from the moon. Her voice was soft and... sad. "The moon's really pretty tonight, isn't it? I've always loved the moon. It's... peaceful to look at."

Serena took a seat beside her friend. Pushing her feelings aside, she didn't answer her question but instead looked at Magnolia. The moonlight highlighted her face, her blue eyes that seemed to have lost a little of its light. "Nolie... are you alright?"

Magnolia glanced to her side, noticing the Gryffindor's glistening tear-streaked face. She chuckled, running her thumb across her face to dry it. "Looks like we both had a bad night."

Serena nodded, leaning her head on the brunette's ice-cold shoulder. "I'll tell you my story if you tell me yours."

"Deal," she smiled before looking back up at the moon. "Remember when I went looking for Adalene? Well, I found her snogging some guy in the corridor. She said... she said she only wanted to try going out with a girl for fun and wasn't serious at all. I'm alright though, it's nothing much."

Serena snapped her head up. "Are you kidding me? You can't just play with someone's feelings like that!" The Gryffindor stood. "I'm going to have a nice chat with Adalene-"

"Yeah, no," Magnolia quickly pulled her friend back down, placing Serena's head back on her shoulder. "You don't need another detention, darling. Besides... I'm used to it. Every girl I've dated either wanted to use me for the 'experience' or lied about their feelings in fear of being judged... which isn't a problem until they blame me for their own advances. Either way, I'm not surprised."

"But your hurt. I can tell. And you don't deserve that."

She let out a quiet laugh. "To be honest, I don't think anyone would ever truly like someone like... me."