➼chapter 17; handstands and hazy signs

❁❁❁

❁❁❁

Serena was right to fully enjoy her birthday without any worry of homework and classes because the next few weeks were going to be hell. And they certainly were.

Serena's free periods were nothing like the relaxing hours she anticipated. Instead, Ramona had forced her and Magnolia to spend them in the library in a lame attempt to keep up with the vast amount of homework they were given. Once Serena and Magnolia finally realised Ramona's constant pressuring for them to study was actually necessary, they followed her to the library willing, studying as if they had exams every single day.

Lessons were more demanding than ever. In Transfiguration, Professor McGonagall had the students read three different text books on everything related to non-verbal spells, with at least six pieces of parchment of notes to turn in. Hagrid had the sixth years attempt to offer Knarls a bowl of milk, despite the fact that they are lactose intolerant and have the nasty tendency the attack anyone that offers them food.

They had to research Venomous Tentaculas in Herbology, and Serena had the pleasure of being that one student nearly strangled to death by its vines. She took full advantage of Professor Sprout's leniency on swearing, using every curse word she could think of when she saw a strand of her curly brown hair wrapped around one of its vines.

N.E.W.T Potions was absolutely dreadful; Serena was tasked with brewing a potion for a dreamless sleep that would be in effect for exactly five minutes. Ideally, when they test it out on their partners, they would only be asleep for those few minutes. So when Serena gave a small vile of her potion to Ramona, the poor girl was convinced she had killed her best friend because she would not wake up for the rest of class.

Serena made an even bigger fool of herself in Charms class. Professor Flitwick assigned each student to test out the Bubble-Head Charm on a partners, which just so happened to be Fred. Rather than cast a bubble around his head, Serena dowsed him in water instead. Not once, not twice, but three times. Though Serena would never admit it to another soul as long as she was still alive, she did enjoy seeing Fred shake the water out of his long red hair. Just a little.

"I think your aim was only slightly off on that one, Mallard."

"Oh, shut it, Weasley."

Defense Against the Dark Arts was steadily getting more and more difficult. Moody gave them so much work Serena was beginning to wonder why she was excited for the class in the first place.  In one particular lesson, Moody announced that he would be putting all of them under the Imperius Curse, clearing all of the desks in the classroom with a flick of his wand.

"But - but you said it's illegal, Professor," Ramona said uncertainly. "You said - to use it against another human was -"

Moody's magical eye swirled in its socket until it landed on an uncomfortable-looking Ramona. "Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like. If you'd rather learn the hard way - when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely - fine by me. You're excused. Off you go."