➼chapter 11; mad-eyes and tournaments

❁❁❁

❁❁❁

Serena's eyes lit up as their empty dishes magically filled with mountains of mashed potatoes, chicken, toast, roast beef and other savory foods. "I think I'm in love," she sighed in content, eagerly piling her plate as Lee and the twins did the same.

After a delicious first course, the food vanished from sight as the Great Hall ceiling, enchanted to reflect the weather outside, let out a another clap of thunder. Puddings and cakes lined the Gryffindor table, and even though Serena was already full, that didn't stop her from grabbing the closest chocolate gateau.

Soon, the deserts disappeared as well, and every student in the Great Hall ended their conversations at once, turning towards the front. Professor Dumbledore stood with a smile on his face, silver beard shimmering in the candle light. "So, now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices."

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it."

The four sixth year Gryffindors snorted. "Seems like that list just expands every year, doesn't it?" Lee mused.

"We are quite the pranksters." Serena grinned.

They all turned their attention back to Dumbledore, just in time to hear him say, "It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

Serena's mouth hung open in horror. "What?" Fred and George were soundlessly mouthing at Dumbledore, apparently too appalled to speak.

Dumbledore continued over the protests. "This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy - but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts -"

Dumbledore was interrupted by a deafening roar of thunder, followed by the Great Hall doors slamming open. Every head snapped towards the stranger standing in the doorway, leaning on staff, shaking the water out of his long, shaggy grey hair.

A strike of lightening illuminated the stranger's face, to which Serena gasped. A long gash crossed his scarred face, a piece of his nose missing. While one eye was small and dark, the other was perfectly circular and electric blue, dashing in every direction without blinking. "That's Mad-Eye Moody," Serena whispered in awe, watching as the man went up to Dumbledore, shaking his hand.

"Mad-Eye Moody?" George thoughtfully asked. "Isn't he that nutter -"

Serena looked personally offended by George's words. "He's not a nutter! He was an Auror, one of the best! Half the cells in Azkaban are full because of him." She the mumbled, "I-including the ones that killed my dad."