➼chapter 16; charms and lockets

❁❁❁

❁❁❁

Serena was absolutely beaming when she returned to the Gryffindor common room in the evening. She had one of the best birthdays, and not even the fact that she'll be drowning in homework the next few weeks could dampen her mood.

"Oi, what have you got there?" Iyla asked from where she was sitting with Harry and Ron, pointing at the bag Serena was carrying.

Ron perked up. "Any sweets, maybe?"

"As if she'd give anything to you before her own sister," Iyla looked up at Serena with a sweet smile. "Right, Rena?"

Serena strode over to the three, digging through her gift bag. "Yea, I've gotten quite a few chocolate frogs. One for you, Harry. And here you go, Ron."

The two boys grinned and thanked her, while Iyla flicked her sister's arm. "How come you gave it to them and not me?"

"Maybe because she likes us better." Ron said.

"Oh, actually" - Iyla smiled triumphantly - "Give one to Hermione, will you, Iyla? Where is she, anyway?" The youngest Mallard snatched the chocolate frog from Serena with a glare.

"Probably at the library, per usual." Harry said after he'd taken another bit from the frog.

Serena shook her head. "That girl is just like Ramona, I swear. So, what are you lot working on?"

"Divination," Ron said as he scribbled something on his paper. "Next Monday, I am likely to develop a cough, owing to the unlucky conjunction of Mars and Jupiter."

"And I'll sprain my ankle from tripping down the stairs in two days, because Venus is in its twelfth house." Iyla said. "You know Trelawney - just put in loads of misery, she'll lap it up."

Serena peered down at their predictions, pointing at a blank spot on Harry's chart. "Why don't you get stabbed in the back by someone you thought was a friend?"

"Nice one," Harry nodded in approval, copying down her answer.

Serena was going to list more tragic misfortunes they could use when she caught sight of Fred and George sitting in the corner. Their heads were together, quills in hand, hunched over a single parchment. Serena hardly ever saw the twins working silently away from everyone, as they loved to be in center of attention. The girl knew it had nothing to do with Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, the joke shop they've always wanted to open. If it was, then Lee Jordan would most definitely had been working on it with them. There was something secretive in the way they quietly conversed over the parchment, and Serena thought they were going over ways to enter the Triwizard Tournament again. But they practically announced it to everyone they were going to try to get it, so it had to have been something else. And Serena was going to find out.

"Well, good luck with that. I'll see you lot later." With a smile, Serena tossed her sister a chocolate frog - much to Iyla's delight - before striding over to the twins at the opposite side of the common room. "Alright, I know you two aren't doing homework, so I hope you're discussing ways to turn my hair back to brown." She said, pointing at her flaming red locks.