➼chapter 18; beaubaxtons and durmstrang

❁❁❁

❁❁❁

For the next week, it seemed as if the only topic in discussion, no matter where Serena went, was the Triwizard Tournament. Rumours were flying from student to student about all sorts of things: what sort of tasks would be included in the tournament, how students of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang differed from themselves, and who was going to try for Hogwarts Champion. Serena spent that week working out the details for an Aging Potion with Fred, George and Lee. She was doubtful it would work, but figured she could use a good laugh.

Serena wasn't the most observant, but even she noticed how the school seemed to be much cleaner than before. Suits of armour were shiny, moving without any squeaks, and the filthy portraits that had always been left alone underwent a deep scrub, in anticipation for the arrival of the guests.

When Serena and the twins went down to breakfast on the morning of the thirtieth of October, they saw the Great Hall had been decorated during the night. Massive silk banners hung from the walls, displaying the crest of the four Hogwarts Houses, as well as a large banner that bore the Hogwarts coat of arms: a lion, eagle, badger, and snake united around a large letter H.

Serena, Fred and George sat down in a secluded area, talking in quite voices. "Listen, all I'm saying is that he can't avoid you forever." The girl reasoned.

"It's a bummer, all right," George said gloomily. "But if he won't talk to us in person... then you're right Serena, we'll have to send him the letter after all."

"Or we'll stuff it into his hand, force him to read it." Fred said.

"Who's avoiding you?" Ron said as he, Harry, Hermione, and Iyla sat beside them.

"Wish you would," Fred replied, looking irritated at the interruption.

"What's a bummer?" Iyla asked Serena this time.

"Having a nosy git like you for a sister," Serena said.

"I know you're already of age, Serena, so you two got any ideas on the Triwizard Tournament yet?" Harry asked the twins. "Thought any more about trying to enter?"

"I asked McGonagall how the champions are chosen but she wasn't telling," said George bitterly. "She just told me to shut up and get on with transfiguring my raccoon."

Serena snickered. "Dunno why you're sulking, it was hilarious!" George simply punched her arm.

"Wonder what the tasks are going to be?" said Ron thoughtfully. "You know, I bet we could do them, Harry, Iyla. We've done dangerous stuff before..."

Fred shook his head. "Not in front of a panel of judges, you haven't. McGonagall says the champions get awarded points according to how well they've done the tasks."

"Who are the judges?" Harry asked.

"Well, the Heads of the participating schools are always on the panel," said Hermione, and everyone looked around at her, rather surprised, "because all three of them were injured during the Tournament of 1792, when a cockatrice the champions were supposed to be catching went on the rampage."