➼chapter 13; curses and dark forces

❁❁❁

❁❁❁

FINISHING UP THEIR BREAKFAST, the three girls walked together to the entrance hall before bidding each other goodbye. While Serena Mallard had Care of Magical Creatures with Slytherins as her first class of the day, Magnolia and Ramona both had Charms. Serena didn't complain, as she had Alicia Spinnet and Angelina Johnson to suffer the pain of having a class with Slytherins first thing in the morning.

Her next block was a free period, where Magnolia relived every detail of their Charms class, much to Ramona's dismay. "Cedric is particularly good at this subject. Charmed Ramona almost instantly-"

"Oh, shut it!"

The trio went back up to the castle for lunch after having spent their break outside by the lake. Serena, who normally hated going to class, was unable to sit still at lunch. "We've got D.A.D.A next, with Mad-Eye Moody!" she exclaimed, scarfing down her steak and mashed potatoes in anticipation.

Ramona grimaced. "I don't know if we'll be enjoying this lesson as much as you think, Serena. I have a feeling and it's... not the best."

The two didn't seem to take Ramona's warning seriously. "Moody is definitely off his rocker, but there's no doubt he knows a whole lot about the Dark Arts," said Magnolia as they stood when they heard a loud bell echoed through the Great Hall, signalling the beginning of afternoon lessons. Serena grabbed her friends' forearms and ran through the halls.

"You two better hurry, or we won't get good seats!" Serena squeezed her way through the queue outside Moody's classroom, coming to stand beside Fred, George, and Lee at the front.

Fred grinned down at her. "Don't you look ecstatic."

"Of course! Mad-Eye Moody is our professor!" Magnolia and Ramona shook their heads, watching Serena bounce on her feet in anticipation.

"Still think he's a nutter-" George was cut off by a smack on his arm by Serena.

Suddenly, the door whooshed up, and the students all scrambled to get the best seats. Satisfied that she and her friends snatched up the three chairs right in front of the teacher's desk, they all pulled out their copies of The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection, waiting patiently.

A minute later, they heard a set of distinctive clunking footsteps down the corridor, no doubt belonging to Moody. He finally entered the room, his scarred face and wooden peg for a leg as frightening as ever.

He stomped toward his desk, taking a seat. "You can put those away, those books. You won't need them." Immediately, every student stuffed their textbooks back in their desk, though Fred, George and Lee didn't have them out to begin with.

Professor Moody then took attendance, his normal eye focused on the list of names while his blue one was flying over the students as they answered whether they were present or not. Serena would be lying if she said she wasn't slightly creeped out, though still amazed.