Chapter 34

"PENTALITICIA!"

Papasok na sana ako sa kotse kung saan naghihintay si Trion nang agad na dumating ang kotse ni Blank. When he saw me, he went out of his car and reached for my arm.

"H-How did it go?"

Tanong nya habang habol ang hininga. I looked up to his face. He was sweating.

"Did something happen? Did she say something bad?"

His right hand went to my face and caressed it.

"Did you cry?"

Napalunok ako. Parang may kung anong tinik na biglang bumara sa lalamunan ko.

"We need to talk."

Mahina kong turan. Naguluhan sya sa sinabi ko. I looked at Trion who is now standing outside the car and smiled at him.

"Mauna ka na sa bahay, Tri. Mag-uusap lang kami."

Nag-aalangan pang sumunod si Trion pero pinakiusapan ko sya.

"Don't worry. I will drive her home."

Blank assured him. When Trion's car drove away, I turned and moved towards Blank's car. He followed me. Before going inside, nadaanan pa ng mga mata ko ang ina nya na nakamasid lang sa amin.

Gustong sumabog ng puso ko.

"What is it?" Blank asked as he starts the car. "You are making me nervous, Pentaliticia."

Umiling ako.

"Diba may park naman dito sa inyong subdivision? Let's go there."

"Pinapakaba mo'ko."

His other hand reached for my hands on top of my legs. He pressed it. I wanted to cry, but I stopped myself.

"We'll talk when we get there."

Sinabi ko na lang at doon na sya natahimik.

I felt a bit relieved when the park was empty. I went to the swing and sat there. Blank followed me and sat on the next swing.

"What did she tell you?"

He asked after a moment of silence. I smiled a bit— just trying to loosen up the tension although I know for a fact this conversation will do nothing good.

"You were right about her. She never listens."

Sagot ko. I played with my fingers.

"Don't worry about her."

He stood up from his seat and half-bent in front of me. He held my two hands and looked up to my face.

"She can't stop us. I already made up my mind. I will follow what my heart tells me, Pentaliticia. In fact, I came from Octrine and she told me she will not go to the church. Her boyfriend will fetch her before the wedding starts. Uhm, we can still run away, you know— together?"

Napangiti ako sa sinabi niya. The spark in his eyes really tells how much he loves me. I bit my lower lip— a tear escaped.

"The wedding will start in one and a half hour, Blank."

His forehead knitted. He didn't understand my reply. He shook his head and reached for my face.

"Hey, hey—" He wiped the tears falling down my cheeks. "No one is getting married today. I am not marrying Octrine. Hindi mo ba narinig ang sinabi ko? Octrine will run away with her boyfriend and I will stay with yo—"