thirty-nine

Chapter thirty-nine✓

"Where the hell were you!"

Olivia literally just walked into school and her whole plan of avoiding people was foiled because her friends were already waiting for her right as she stepped onto the premises. Olivia let out a deep breath and opened her eyes back up to see her strawberry blonde haired friend yelling at her.

The Flynn sighed as she walked forward to meet her friend, just waiting for the questions to start.

"We looked for you for over an hour! And when we couldn't find you I almost had a panic attack!" Lydia exclaimed.

"I'm really sorry. I just ended up going home a little bit earlier than expected. I'm okay now, Lyds." Olivia said softly, not necessarily in the mood to be yelling first thing in the morning.

Lydia looked uncertain, not entirely ready to let go of the situation. "You walked all the way back to Scott's?" she looked at her.

Olivia couldn't remember how she got home. It was all one blurred movie in her mind, like she was attempting to recall a dream from the night before.

"Yes. It was a nice walk." It wasn't a lie. From what she could remember, the fresh air made her stay awake and eased her nerves. A calm wind accompanied the air.

Lydia looked unconvinced. "I guess you left at a good time, though." her face flashed with worry "I need to fill you in about what happened after you left."

Olivia stopped at her locker, turning to face the other girl. "What happened last night?

Lydia stopped and looked behind her, over her shoulder, like what she was about to say was about someone in the building. "After we started to look for you, these shadow creatures came out of thin air and then started to attack everyone-"

All of her movements ceased at once. Her head jerked towards Lydia, now facing her while her eyes ran wild across her face trying to find some sort of clue that she was joking with her or pulling something. "What did you just say?" Olivia asked quickly.

Lydia stopped talking abruptly, her eyes connecting with her urgent ones. "I said that after we noticed you had gone, these black, metal faced ninja's appeared out of the shadows." She said again.

They were actually there last night, her mind wasn't fucking with her. Olivia didn't have to look at Lydia's concerned face to know she looked awful. The realization flooded through her, face draining of any color she had to begin with ( which wasn't much ), and she wasn't even staring at her.

"Hey? You okay?"

Olivia shook herself out of the little trance that she was in and didn't even realize that she had stopped putting away her things. Olivia just nodded in response, while her thoughts were swarming her mind of multiple possibilities. "Peachy." She lied. "What happened after that? Details would be wonderful." she prompted further.

Lydia sighed as she tried to recall the events of the previous night. "I'm not sure when they appeared, but once everyone had left, the human-like ninja's began to attack us. Then, they vanished."

Olivia tried to line up the events from both her experience and her friends' experience. As the memories organized in her head, she came to the conclusion that the shadowed figures showed up right as she disintegrated the one that ended up confronting her. So either she was the trigger or it was a simple coincidence.

"...him in for me?"

Olivia snapped her head to the voice. "Huh?" she asked Lydia who was waiting for her response to a question she didn't even hear.