~ chapter six ~

"Dad?" Kurt approached the man, who sat on the sofa and watched a game of football once again.

"I'm gonna stay at Carol’s tonight. Be kind enough to close all doors and windows, when you come home from that Glee Party. And no alcohol!" he raised his voice.

"Yeah, of course. We should go now, though. Have fun with Carol", Kurt replied succinctly, before we took our jackets and left the house to drive to the McKinley Highschool.

"Who is Carol?", I asked while exiting the driveway.

"My father's fiancée. Her son, Finn, is the quarterback off our football team and in Glee Club. You'll get to know him right away", Kurt said.

"Nervous?" I continued.

"Quite a bit!", my neighbor laughed.

¤¤¤

After having arrived at school, Kurt guided me through a large white entrance door, to a classroom, where a few students were already sitting in smaller groups and chatting.

"Hey, could you please listen for a moment!", Kurt shouted, dragging me beside him.

"That's Blaine Anderson, a new friend of mine. He goes to the Dalton Academy and is also at the Glee Club. He's my mental supporter. So be nice”, Kurt carried on.

"Why would you take an opponent with you? You know what happened with Jesse", a girl with long brown hair and a snooty voice grumbled.

"I’ll vouch for him, Rachel", Kurt replied also in a cocky tone which I would have never expected from him.

All eyes in the room were staring at me and I felt more and more uncomfortable with the whole situation.

To break the awkward silence, Kurt took my hand, led me to one of the groups and introduced me to everyone.

Rachel, who still seemed rather suspicious towards me, I couldn't really blame her though.
Tina, a pale Asian girl with black hair and blue highlights, that looked like the literal definition of an emo, held hands with an Asian boy with short dark brown hair, whose name was Mike, Artie, a boy in a wheelchair and with brown hair and glasses and  Mercedes, a dark-skinned, big girl with a black shoulder-length weave, who sat next to Kurt.

They all seemed very nice and didn't treat me like a spy, unlike the other group in the room who darted a persistent glare at me.

It took less than ten minutes until a teacher, whose name was Mr. Shue, as Kurt whispered me in my ear, came in, and everyone started rehearsing.

I stayed in the back corner where I, especially watched Kurt’s dance moves and his breathtaking talent.

After a while I started to play Doodle Jump on my Phone, because I had nothing else to do.

¤¤¤

It felt like I had been waiting for an eternity until the start of the competition.

I followed the New Directions to the side stage to watch the other groups. From that position I didn't only have a view of the stage, but also of the audience.

I could have never overlooked Sebastian's face in the middle of the room searching for something, or maybe even someone, like a missing member.

I quickly turned my gaze away and gave the older man who was just entering the stage my whole attention.

He briefly introduced the guest jury consisting of a singer and two voice coaches. After that the first group performed immediately.

The Hipsters, a group of old people who never actually graduated, who were not permitted at all, at least in my opinion.

The second group were the Unitards, which consisted of a pretty girl and eleven boys, who all looked the same. They immediately caught the eye of the audience with their version of Buenos Aires, but they didn't really impress me that much.

The girl sang the lead vocals and the men built the whole performance around her.

Time passed by fast, but the time finally came for The New Directions to enter the stage. Kurt's feet trembled and I tried to calm him down with a soft smile as he glanced at me.

The audience stopped applauding and it became quiet.

A blonde girl named Quinn and a blonde boy named Sam, how Kurt told me earlier, entered the auditorium through the two large doors on the other side of the room and began singing their duet “Time of my Life”, while they were walking towards the stage and continued with the refrain, which was harmonized by the other members.

As they both ended the song with a perfectly hit note, a black-haired Latino-American woman stood in the middle of the stage and started her solo “Valerie”.

Mike and a skinny, blonde girl, named Brittany, danced through the instrumental sections, that gave the performance the final perfection.

For some reason, I couldn't stop smiling for the next thirty minutes and completely freaked out, when the old man set his feet on the stage again to announce the winner.

"And the third place goes to...", he began, "...the Hipsters!".

Applause broke out and the group left the stage with a small trophy and sad eyes.

"And the winners of Sectionals 2020 are..." he increased the tension and I stopped breathing, "...the New Directions!", he shouted into the microphone in front of him joyfully.

I screamed, which was clearly suppressed by the cheers of the winning group.

As they left the stage, Kurt ran towards me, hugged and whirled me around.

I was surprised at how strong he was and I let out a little guffaw.

"Congratulations! You deserve it so much", I said as I felt solid ground under my feet again.

"Don’t get too excited! We’re gonna beat your ass at the Regionals, Blainie", he said poking my nose.

"Well, we'll see about that", I said boldly, and we followed the group members, that were walking out of the building and to the parking lot.

"Party in 10 minutes at my house!" Rachel shouted as she said goodbye, and everyone splitted up in groups again to either walk or, like Kurt an I, drive to her house.