Rest in Paradise

Senior year was going pretty calm. We were so close to prom and graduation and I couldn't wait. My mom helped me pick out a beautiful dress to match Michael's white suit but she told me that she didn't want to see me in it until the day of prom. She wanted it to be a surprise.

I invited Aaliyah over Because she was having an argument with Prince and just wanted some peace of mind. When the doorbell rung I ran down the stairs and opened the door. "Aaliyahhhh!!!!!" I screamed and jumped on her. She gave me a huge hug that seemed longer then usual. "What's wrong?" I asked she walked over to the couch and sat down with a face that made me know for sure she was pissed off.

 "What's wrong?" I asked she walked over to the couch and sat down with a face that made me know for sure she was pissed off

"Girl Prince is an idiot sometimes...but at least he didn't get another girl pregnant" she said smiling at me. "How are you and Michael doing?" She asked and I started to blush. Whenever someone mentioned his name I felt butterflies in my stomach still to this day he gave me the same effect as he did the day in the music room".  "We're good...I picked out a prom dress that would match Michael's suit"

She sat up and her mouth dropped open. "I'm going to go see it right now!!" She said darting up off the couch. "Aaliyah...hey!!!" I yelled running after her.

She ran into my room and went straight to the closet pulling out my dress that was wrapped in plastic. "Oh my gosh it looks so good" she said staring at it. "Please tell me your wearing a dress" I asked while putting my hands on my hips. "No I'm not" Aaliyah said smiling. "Pleaseeee" I begged. She shook her head. "It's ok to not wear a dress...I'm going to go ask mom right now and see what she says" she said walking past me and to my mothers room.

"Ahhhhhhhh NOOO" Aaliyah screamed. I knew that scream to well. It was the same scream she did last time she went into my mothers room. I stood there frozen and I could already feel the tears in my eyes weld up. I turned around slowly and walked over to my mothers room.

She was lying on the floor and was Aaliyah on her knees crying. The tears were running down my face now. Everything around me was moving in slow motion and suddenly I could no longer hear what was going on around me. Michael must have came home because I saw him run past me and kneel down over my mother. All I could do was stand there and look at her body.

I walked over to my mother and kneeled down over her. Aaliyah grabbed onto me sobbing while I held my mothers hand. It was as cold as ice and when I looked up at Michael he was crying too. That's when I knew...she was gone.

Cemetery 12:45 (A Week before prom)
I stood there looking at the glossy brown coffin just a few inches above the giant 6ft hole. Aaliyah, Michael, Prince, Brooke, Marlon, Jackie, Aaliyah's mom and Janet were all there standing in black. The people who didn't know her well just told me they were sorry for my loss. I was feeling sorry. The last time I told her I loved her was when we were picking out the dress and she told me how proud of me she was. How she couldn't wait to be at my graduation ceremony to see me all grown up getting my diploma. I hugged her so tightly that day. I wish I knew this day was coming because I would have spent every last second with her.

Michael held my hand and Aaliyah held my other. I watched her coffin slowly sink into the ground and I swore my heart sank with it. Tears started rolling down my face as I knew that it was going to be my last time ever seeing her. Prince wrapped her arms around my stomach and rested his head on my back.

I had no family now. I couldn't run to my father because he's rotting in a jail cell for the rest of his life. I had so many friends around me but I felt alone. Michael brought me back to his house. He didn't want me to stay alone in my house he felt that it might have been unhealthy.

I stayed at his house for three days and I cried enough tears to fill up his pool in his backyard. Michael didn't let me out of his sight and he didn't want to let go of me either. I had to apologize to him multiple times for drenching him in my tears but he didn't care all he wanted to do was hold me in his embrace.

When I went back to my house it was sad and quiet. Aaliyah said that she would spend the night with me so that we could get ready for prom together. She wanted that night to still be special for me despite my loss. While Aaliyah was sleeping I snuck out of the bed and went into my mothers room. All I could see was her laying on the floor. I took a deep breath and calmed my nerves. I walked over to the bed and pulled out a box from underneath it.

I sat on her bed and opened the box that was quite dusty and pulled a book out of it. When I flipped through it I saw pictures of when my mother was pregnant with me and her holding me as a baby. I started to cry again and I rubbed my finger over her face. I could remember all the stories she told me about how I gave her hell at birth. She told me I had her in labor for hours like I didn't want to come out.

I smiled at all the memories we had. When I got to the end of the book I saw a picture of Michael, My mother and I all posing with Mickey Mouse from our Disney land trip. I flipped to the back of the picture and it said

My Beautiful Daughter and my future son in law I love you both with all my heart ~Mom

I smiled and put the picture to the side. If there was one thing I could keep from her it would have be this picture. It was now my prized possession.