Fleeing the gym

[~Started Summer 2020. Author's note: This is an alternate-universe fanfic of the Chinese Drama called "Love O2O." It probably makes ZERO sense unless you watched the tv show or movie already. If you haven't seen the show yet, I really recommend it! Also, if you haven't seen the show, consider checking out my other story. Its title is "The Prince and the Plant Whisperer." This other story works as a stand-alone universe, no advance TV-viewing homework required ;)  Anyway, hope you enjoy... ]

Everyone in the gym gasped as Xiao Nai stood up, wiped the sweat off his forehead, and then started walking toward the bleachers. Fans whispered in their seats.

What's he doing?!

Bei Weiwei wondered too.

Pushing aside the panic in her brain, she tried to think like Naihe. She's logged so many hours gaming with him. By now, she could often guess how he'd react to things.

Even in social situations, he could make choices like a computer playing chess.

Dashen, I know you.... I know you... What are you doing....?

In a flash, she understood:

You're trying to settle things once and for all...! 

He was about to do something dramatic. Decisive.

A big public gesture.

Something that might result in a lot of photos on the school's forums...

And then what?

And then Weiwei would be quickly forced straight into this relationship. No turning back. No one else would approach her. All other men would know she was taken. Or maybe worse. People might say she was "used goods."

Dating Xiao Nai  didn't sound like a bad fate at all! Just the thought of seeing him  again--it filled her with nervous excitement

Dating Xiao Nai didn't sound like a bad fate at all! Just the thought of seeing him again--it filled her with nervous excitement. Maybe they'd meet at Mrs. Jiang's for a second meal...

But...  dating someone like Xiao Nai meant she was also signing up to be the target of endless school gossip.

Would she miss out on precious studying time whenever some jealous girl "accidentally" spilled a milk tea on her, and she had to run to the library bathroom to wash out the stain?

What if Er Xi and Sisi come to her crying whenever they read something mean about her online? What if it's the day before a big exam, and she's forced to spend an hour reassuring her friends she's OK?

Plus, what if Xiao Nai turns out to be nothing like Naihe?

Unlikely.

But what if we part ways, after two months of dating in real life?

Then, will our break-up become "Trending Topic Number One" on campus? It'll be MY reputation that gets torn to pieces! Your possessive fans will say you dumped me! And they'll say it's because I have all kinds of flaws!

Xiao Nai's fans were already his inescapable reality. He already had his own defenses in response. Like his cool and distant persona.

But Weiwei still had a choice. She didn't have to deal with that pack of wolves. Yet.

On the spot, she made a decision.

Leaning down, she whispered to Er Xi, "I have to go. I realized I forgot to write a three page essay. It's due tomorrow!"

"What!?" Er Xi looked up at her and shook her sleeve. "Just wait and see what's going on! Senior Xiao Nai's walking this way."

"Not worth my scholarship to wait and find out."

"Weiwei!" Er Xi sighed, "I thought you were my co-fangirl!"

"You'll just have to give me the full post-game report later," Weiwei said. And then, before her roommate could respond, Weiwei quickly made her way down to the front row, and scurried out the gym's far exit.

She ran home to her dorm room, shut the door, and put her hands in her head to think.

* * * * * * * *

As Xiao Nai begins moving toward the bleachers, his gaze is fixed on his online wife

As Xiao Nai begins moving toward the bleachers, his gaze is fixed on his online wife. She's there. There!  Seated beside her roommates. Her radiant, dark eyes stare back at him. Every other face around her seems like a blur.

Then he pauses. Bei Weiwei's standing up. Is she moving toward him too?

No...

She hurries down to the court and then starts running along the far courtside, then leaves the gym through the exit furthest away from him. Disappointed for a moment, Xiao Nai watches the last bit of her blouse and blue skirt flutter out of the doorway.

What are you doing, Weiwei?

Then he smiles.

She wants to call the shots.

Like in a basketball game, he's been setting a quick pace. Maybe she's like an opponent team pushing back, setting her own pace.

His smile grows. Interesting. His wife has a mind of her own in real life, too. As he already pretty much guessed.

* * * * * * * *

(Notes : I love the Love O2O world soooo much. It's just perfect and cuuute. But also, it's the opposite of a slow burn. There's NO burn!  Bei Weiwei and Xiao Nai just meet in person and then -- bam! -- they're together right away. In the TV version, even Bei Weiwei regrets the quick speed of their relationship a little bit.

It seems fun to do a alternate universe where things unfold more slowly and with more uncertainty. Maybe with some moments where Xiao Nai isn't sure what's going to happen. Will he actually end up getting to date Weiwei?

Originally I posted this on AO3 with the same title, but then I thought it'd be fun to add in more pics.  Wattpad seems easier to put pictures in.

Thanks for reading, I don't feel like my story's very good, but at least I hope it gives you a smile !!!)