Chapter 1: The First Drop

Rebecca Cross, or Bex as many people call her, has a routine. The same mundane activities completed day in and day out. A schedule ingrained into her brain

7:00 AM – wake up.

"Rebecca! Don't make me come in there. You're going to be late!" Her mother called.

Bex turned over in bed and put a pillow over her head. Like any second-year high school girl, Bex wasn't exactly thrilled to go to school. The urgency wasn't there. She wasn't an excited freshman anymore, and it was too soon for her to be worrying about grades for college. She was just there to be there, which wasn't exactly motivating.

"How many times do I have to come in here? Come on get up," Her mom walked in, stepping over the piles of mess on the floor.

There were several piles of dirty and clean clothes mixed all together. Shoes tossed here and there as Bex often kicked them off her feet as soon as she got home. Empty food containers and foil wrappers littered around her bed. Several pillows tossed to the floor through the course of the night.

Her mom stumbled forward as she tried to dodge Bex's homework.

"I've had enough. You are not a baby anymore. Get," her mom grabbed the blankets. "Up!" she grunted as she heaved them with all her might.

The covers flew up in the air leaving Bex exposed to the cold room.

"No!" Bex complained.

"Now Rebecca."

"Ugh! Fine!" Bex got up and narrowed her hazel eyes into little slits.

"Hurry up, your siblings are almost ready," her mom once again walked around the land mines on the floor before exiting her room.

Bex huffed and jumped out of bed and expertly navigated her room as she made her way to the bathroom. Only to find her younger sister, a year apart, already waiting.

"Hurry up Nathan!" Abby banged on the door.

"Seriously?" Bex also banged on the door.

"Well wake up earlier," Nathan called through the door.

Nathan was the oldest. Older than Bex by two years. He was often seen as the most responsible of the siblings, while Abby is the family baby. She's babied by everyone in the family, even Bex despite their minimal age difference. Bex got the title for the least responsible and most likely to get herself into trouble. The sibling hierarchy was just Nathan looking after his two sisters who are seen as equals.

After having an all-out war with her sister on who got the bathroom next, the two forced their way in once Nathan got out. In the end, they shared it. Once washed up, Bex walked back to her room to get dressed.

She wasn't the kind of girl that put forth effort into her appearance, what you saw was what you got. She was lazy, but her natural beauty often saved face. She grabbed a random pair of skinny jeans off the floor. Knowing it was a 50/50 that they were clean but she was pretty sure they were. She threw them on in a hurry before slipping into a plain black and white striped t-shirt.

Glancing at the time she grabbed her backpack off the floor and shoved all her homework inside. She did a quick glance around the messy room for the nearest pair of basketball shorts. She snagged them and shoved them in as well. Pieces of the fabric stuck out of the small holes in the torn and tattered backpack.

She zipped it up and bounced back to her feet before walking over to her dresser mirror. She grabbed a fist full of her bright almond brown hair and stuck it into a ponytail without even brushing it. Burnette colored hair ran in her family but due to years of outdoor activities and band practice, the sun naturally bleached the hair several shades lighter. Although her natural hair color could still be seen in the roots of her hair.