Chapter 18

Daniel's pov

I looked down at the plate she was handing out. 'How about we both have dinner together? In my penthouse.' I asked her.

'Umm... Well, dinner?' she asked in an uncertain tone. She looked unsure. 'Yeah, I really want to... Show you something. Besides that I am at home tomorrow as well. Why don't we have dinner together?' I asked her.

She didn't say anything. 'Come on layla. I am asking you as a friend not as my dad's son. I am grateful for everything you have done these past few months.' I said.

'O... Okay. I will go bring my plate.' she said. I held her hand while she was leaving. 'I will come with you. I will help you.' I said and we both walked together to her apartment.

We fixed her a plate and I held her hand and led her into my penthouse again. 'So, Umm...' she started saying withdrawing her hand away,'We go to the dinner table.' she said.

'No.. There is a diffrent place. Come on... I will show you.' I said.

'Where are we going?' she asked. I lead her towards my balcony. It had a really nice view and there was a dining table set there.

'Do you like it here?' I asked her as I pulled forward a chair for her to sit.

'Of course.' she said as I say down as well in front of her. 'THE view is beautiful.' she said looking outside. 'Yeah, it is.' I said while looking at her.

'Let's begin then.' I told her and she nodded and we began eating.

'I hope you don't mind that I used peanut oil today. I could not really find olive oil so...' she started saying. 'Why would I mind? You cook such delicious food for me everyday while juggling with your work. I wouldn't mind at all.' I said to her while smiling.

'Layla, I... I want to tell you something.... No actually I want to ask you....' I was saying when suddenly her phone started ringing. 'Oh... I am so sorry.' she said. 'It's alright... Go on.' I replied a bit irritated. I was about to tell her how i felt and someone just had to call and ruin the moment.

She picked her phone and answered it 'Hey Zach, what's the matter?' she asked.

Zach? Who the hell was this Zach? Why didn't I know anything about him?

She started talking something about work and then suddenly started laughing as if he had said something funny on the phone. I gripped my fork out of anger.

Finally she said goodbye. Then she looked at me and started eating her dinner again. 'Zach?' I asked her. 'Oh, he is just my best friend... from work. He works at the organisation too.' she said.

Zach who works at the organisation and is her best friend. 'I thought I was your best friend.' I said chuckling but deep inside I wanted go find Zach and punch him for ruining my night.

'Well.... You... You both are my best friends.' she replied. 'I want to be boyfriend and then your husband, not your best friend, why don't you understand, you keep saying best friends all the time.' I said in the back of my mind and she even picked up his call while we were having dinner together.

'You wanted to ask me something right?' she said. 'Umm... Actually let that go.. How was your day then?' I asked her changing the topic. I will plan something even better for the two of us.

We both had dinner and then she offered to clean up but I told her that I would take care of it and then she left.
If I would have been able to tell her today how i felt then I would have not let her leave right now. She could have been here, right in my arms, if not for zach. I hate him already.

The next day

'Sir, its time for your weekly visit at the organisation.' my secretary reminded me in the evening. If course how can I forget.

I loved the organisation and especially I can go meet layla then. Last several times everyone had left and I was able to spend time with her.

I went over there enthusiastically. But first I knew I had to meet Mr. Williams. I met him and we talked. I took my weekly review.

After that he asked me if I wanted to see around again. I nodded my head yes but said that I will see myself around. I wanted to meet layla and give her a surprise.

I went ahead and started walking seeing everything around. I was looking around but was actually searching for Layla.

Most of the building was empty and I finally reached the staff office. At the doorstep I heard laughter. It was layla who was laughing, but why?

I went into the staff office and to my surprise I saw layla laughing, she was looking beautiful but I was angry because I saw another guy with her.

I knocked a little bit on the door and both of them turned around and saw me. Layla looked surprised while that guy looked confused.

'Daniel, I didn't know you were coming.' Layla said with a smile. 'Yeah, just dropped in for my weekly visit.' I told her.

'Mr. Harrington, good evening.' the guy standing next to her said and then whispered in layla ears (Which was clearly audible to me) 'Layla, don't call him by his first name just like that, he is our boss.'

'It's alright. We both know each other. She is my.... My best friend.' I said walking closer to her and standing next to layla.

'Oh, Mr. Harrington, I didn't know. I am so sorry.' He replied. 'Who is he?' I asked looking at layla.

'Oh, he is the guy i told you about yesterday, Zach! My Co worker and my bestest friend.' Layla replied enthusiastically.

'Hi Mr. Zach.' I said nodding at him. He smiled back a little frightened.

'I didn't expect to see you here. The whole building was pretty much empty.' I told layla.

'Oh yeah, me and zach were leaving right now too.' she replied.

'Oh, you know what, let's leave together then. I have my car.' I said.

'No Daniel there is no need for that.' she said. 'Oh come on layla, we are next door neighbours. You help me with your homemade cooking. You think of my parents as yours. We are so close. Us going home together just seems logical, right.' I told her but was actually looking at Zach while saying that who was looking at us awkwardly.

'OK.... Then. Let's leave.' Layla said grabbing her bag. 'Zach, we will discuss the remaining things tomorrow. I am so excited! I just can't wait' she said with a bright smile and hugged him. HUGGED HIM! STANDING ON HER TIPTOES!

My hand was fisted and I wanted to throw something but I controlled myself with a fake smile on my face. 'Well, Mr. Zach, we will take our leave. Hope you keep working with our organisation.' I said while layla was walking towards me.

I took her hand and walked away from him. 'Daniel.....' she said while walking but I didn't stop. I just kept walking while holding her hand. She kept saying my name but I didn't stop once till we reached the parking lot. I unlocked my car and opened the door for her to sit.

She sat and once again asked,'Daniel, what...' before she could complete it I closed the door and went to sit in the driver's seat of the car.

'Just a minute layla.' I said and opened my phone and sent a text to Mr. William that I had aldready left and he could leave too.

After that I started driving. 'So, that zach guy..' I said fake laughing, 'He is your boyfriend?' I asked her. 'No.... Not at all, he is my bestest friend.' she said with a smile. Even I am your best friend layla, but I love you and wish to go further. I said in the back of my mind.

I quickly changed the subject to something else. I had to tell her soon how i felt about her. The image of seeing her with someone else was eating my mind.