Mosquito bites

When Asmaira woke up, she felt tired and exhausted. It never happened before that her body was protesting to wake up and that pain, pain in her lower body. It was unusual. When her eyes flickered she saw, she was alone on the bed, naked.

She flushed when she recollected last night. What surprised her more was Amaan calls her Aashi. Only her mother and Raina used to call her by that name.

Slowly she sat up, holding the quilt tightly. She was nervous and shy to face Amaan now that last night passion was drained out and she was sober. Thinking Amaan could be in the bathroom, her stomach was doing somersaults.

However, she noticed that the bathroom room was open indicating Amaan was not there. Her thoughts were interrupted by a gentle knock.

"Mam, Madam Hashmi is waiting for you at the dinner table", Maya called her.

She startled, thinking Maya would see her like that, but she mentally slapped herself when she realized her stupidity. She hastily took her shower knowing Fariya was waiting for her and it would be disrespectful making her wait more.

She scolded herself for sleeping till late and was creating all scenarios of asking for an excuse from Fariya for being late at the breakfast. When Asmaira rushed into the dining hall, only females of the family were seated.

"Sorry I am late", she excused herself, however, when Ishaal noticed Asmaira, her eyes got wide and she immediately nudged Hania who too had the same expression as Ishaal.

"Sorry", Asmaira said again, not sure about the amusement in their expression.

Do I look odd? I didn't have time to see myself in the mirror, she thought.

"Why are you two giggling?" Fariya noticed the sense of amusement happening between her daughter in laws.

"Nothing Ma", so Asmaira did you sleep well last night?", Hania asked.

Asmaira blushed instantly which didn't go unnoticed by Ishaal and Hania, who were now smirking at her.

"Yes", she paused and said again, "Yes, I don't know I was feeling tired, maybe I was tired because of the seminar".

"Ah, are you still tired?", Ishaal asked while Hania was finding it difficult to hold her laugh.

Asmaira was not sure where the conversation was heading or why Ishaal was looking at her like that. When Fariya, who was suspicious about their odd behavior saw Hania pointing towards Asmaira's neck, she understood. She beamed brightly, but one pleading look from Hania she continued to act ignorant.

"No, I mean I am fine now", Asmaira replied, but when she saw Fariya looking at her with contentment she got more confused.

"By the way, what happened to your neck?", Ishaal asked again with an innocent look.

Upon hearing her question, when Asmaira turned to see her neck in a mirror, she was stunned. Her neck was covered with many purplish marks. Memories of last night flashes and her face turns red as a tomato, making Hania to finally let go of her fits of laughter.

Embarrassed, Asmaira dared not to make eye contact with anyone, mumbled, "Mosquito bites".

"Oh", Ishaal paused for a few seconds to control her laugh and said again, "Next time ask the mosquito not to bite you". Having said that, both Hania and Ishaal burst out laughing.

Now Asmaira understood her lie was caught long before she said it. Not knowing what to do, she immediately tried to make an excuse of Kabir, however, Fariya caught her hand to stop her.

"Now you two, don't embarrass her already", she defended her, though she too was trying to control her laugh over Asmaira's lame attempt.

When Fariya was alone with Asmaira, she kissed Asmaira on her forehead before saying, "Thank you, for coming into my son's life". With that, she left blushing Asmaira behind.

The entire day, Asmaira was lost in her daze, thinking how Amaan had called her Aashi and how she saw the love for her in his eyes. When she married Amaan she lost all hopes of finding someone who will love her, but last night her dream came true.

"Kabir, what should I wear for your Dada?", she asked her son who was playing with her long locks.

"Maybe something in blue, that's his favorite color", she said while tickling him making him giggle.

One part of Asmaira was eager to meet Amaan and the other was nervous. She wanted to meet him badly as well as to hide from him.

Once she was sure Kabir was sleeping, she went ahead and dressed up for Amaan. She opted for a royal blue dress as it was Amaan's favorite color. She ditched her glasses like last night and again put on light makeup. Applying kohl and mascara while opting for simple lip balm. She didn't need to use blush as her cheeks were already hot with anticipation.

Why did he leave me in the morning? Should I ask or let him say first? She thought.

While she was brushing her hair, she was still debating about her own feelings for Amaan.

He is my husband, how can I deny him his rights, I can't say no to him. Her heart was justifying her while her mind taunted her, Oh really! Why didn't you let him touch you before then?.

Really, why didn't I stop him and why do I feel happy? Do I really have feelings for him or I obliged to him as gratitude for everything he did for me? Why do I feel happy whenever he is around me then?.

It was evening and Asmaira knew it was time for Amaan to come back from the office and she was waiting on the balcony to see him. Minutes passed, but there was no sight of Amaan. Thinking he might be busy with his work, Asmaira politely decline when Maya called her for dinner instead she waited for Amaan to have it with him alone.

The hours passed yet there was no sign of Amaan. Kabir was still asleep in her room. It was around midnight and Asmaira was pacing to and fro in her room anxiously.

Is he alright? I should have asked Jamshed bhai, stupid Asmaira, she scolded herself in her anxiety.

Finally, she heard honking of a car and she rushed towards the balcony to see Amaan's car entering the driveway. She blushed by only seeing the sight of the car. She went near the balcony door and was mentally creating possible scenarios where Amaan would embrace her or even might confess the magical words. She was preparing her possible reply to him. She turned her back towards the room door as she was feeling shy to face Amaan and while fidgeting with her hair pin she dropped it.

Unknown to her when she was searching for the pin, Amaan silently walked in. Her back was towards him and seeing that she didn't notice his presence, he faked a cough to get her attention which only made her body go stiff..

"I..", he paused for a second and again continued, " I want to say something".

He was struggling with the words and Asmaira felt even he was nervous like her. Taking her silence as her approval to talk, he again struggled.

"I.."

"I...."

The silence and his struggle were making Asmaira more anxious. She crouched down to retrieve her hair pin and in her anticipation of Amaan's confession, even forgot to get up from her odd position in her anxiousness.

Finally, after what looked like eternity Amaan spoke and what he said made Asmaira's heart miss a beat.

"I am sorry".