chapter 29

"thank you, y/n. i'm glad you're here,"

"you're glad?" y/n softened her look at tsukishima upon seeing him smile as he continued admiring the sky.

"yeah?" he hummed, raising an eyebrow.
"don't tell me you forgot i called you annoying earlier," she furrowed her eyes, making tsukishima slightly chuckle.

"you do that all the time, what's new?" he tilted his head a bit.

a moment of silence passed the both of them before y/n had the courage to do something she planned a week ago. she took a deep breath, gulped, and slowly took out the paper bag where the gift was placed.

"i have something to give you.." she said as she looked at him nervously.

he turned his head to face y/n and observed how she looked.
"you're kind of pale, are you cold—"

"here..." she continued, shoving the paper bag to his arms.
"what's this?"

"it's for you." y/n stated as tsukishima observed the box in hand.
"y/n, you didn't have to do this for me."
"just take it!

"you bought this?" he asked while he gently opened the wrapper, placing it in the paper bag to making sure he wont leave any trash behind.

y/n smiled at how tsukishima opened her gift for him. though tsukki was wearing his usual expression, she was well aware how delighted he felt that time.

but the small smile in his lips dropped as soon as he saw the gift.

headphones... he thought.

he stared at it for minutes, while y/n looked down, unsatisfied with tsukki's reaction. she tried her best not to overlook at it, but she felt like she couldn't control the tears from falling in her eyes anymore.

"you don't like it..?" y/n asked, maintaining her posture despite her voice slighty shaking. tsukishima immediately looked at her with worry and concern plastered all over his face.

"y/n... it's not that. but you're aware that i already have one, right?" he asked, worried with what y/n said.

"i'm sorry, you can give it back if you—"
"and  that this looks exactly the same as what i'm currently using, right?" he softly added while he tried his best to smile at y/n.

"i just bought the same color. i didn't.. i didn't know it was the s-same—" y/n's tears fell from her eyes and as soon as tsukishima saw her condition, he spoke up.

"d-don't misunderstand me, i'll treasure this and i definitely appreciate everything you did for me today, i promise," he said as he held the headphone in his right hand, tightly.

y/n only stared at him, unable to say anything.

"well to be frank with you," tsukishima let out a short chuckle. "you gave that to me last year as well.." he added, gently patting y/n's head.

"did i?"

tsukishima nodded, showing her a small smile. "you did. i received that gift from you last year, my birthday... and uh, the day of the accident."

"i loved the gift. thank you, y/n." he added, making y/n feel better.

"i fucking hate you." y/n glared at him, fighting the urge to cry. "you're a fucking idiot."

tsukishima chuckled. "but i don't hate you?"
"you're so.."
"i'm so?" he showed a small smile, partly because he wants to see her smile again.

"no but.. did i forget anything else?" she worriedly asked.
"that's all that happened, y/n." he replied, earning a sigh from her.

"good. i'm not worried anymore," she said as she furrowed her eyebrows at tsukishima. "taking a wild guess right now and i know you're gonna tease me for what happened earlier."

"what?" he chuckled. "no i won't, it was cute." he tilted his head a bit and looked deeply in her eyes, making y/n slightly blush.

she looked away, avoiding tsukishima's gaze.

"you just did."
"i did not. it's true."