1: Cinderella's Fear

"I think my boyfriend is... planning to murder me."

It was the weekend, and their McDonald's was filled with parents who had brought their children. There were also incessant shrills and laughter from the children who played on the slides in the play area. Naturally, it was difficult for the fair and plump Zhu Mei to believe what her good friend had said.

"That's nonsense! Even if both of you are fighting, don't talk smack about someone to that degree," Zhu Mei scolded jokingly. Pausing for a while, she raised an eyebrow before asking rather hesitantly, "When the two of you fight, it doesn't get physical, does it?"

The woman who sat opposite Zhu Mei was about 20-plus years old. Even though her features could be considered quite exquisite, she couldn't be considered a rare beauty in a bustling cosmopolitan city like theirs. However, her most attention-drawing feature was her large pair of slightly upturned eyes. Within her light-colored pupils was an amber luster you couldn't help but associate with expensive cats.

Lin Sanjiu shook her head and did not continue. She couldn't blame May for not believing her; saying such words seemed somewhat preposterous even to herself. Perhaps it was because she had not slept well, for she felt rather anxious... She took two sips of Coca-Cola, unaware of her frame of mind. She half-jokingly said, "If a day comes when the police ask who I usually don't get along with..."

"Sheesh!" The bantering tone of her friend relieved Zhu Mei of the shreds of doubt she previously had. She waved her hand and cheerily commented, "Really, you got a great deal! Say, what are Ren Nan's shortcomings?"

The last half of the sentence blew past her like a breeze, as Lin Sanjiu did not even listen. Her cat-like eyes swept across the surroundings outside the window, her lower jaw slightly tightening.

Seemingly to conceal that action, she tilted her head down and took a bite from her hamburger.

At that moment, the noisy McDonald's suddenly fell silent for a few seconds. As the doorway darkened, a tall man walked in steadily. A few customers in the queue unconsciously stepped aside, opening a path for him.

Wearing a custom-tailored steel gray shirt with a unique Armani slim-fit design, every detail seemed to portray dignified quality. His well-pressed dark-colored pants elegantly fit him without any creases as if there were professionals who ironed them anytime. Additionally, he had a 1:9 body ratio, rare for Asians, and good looks to boot. At any time, Ren Nan looked like a top model who had just walked out of a fashion show and into a McDonald's. It was no wonder he was getting glances from the crowd.

As he sat down, a slight fragrance of Davidoff Cool Water cologne wafted in the air.

"Why are you eating fast food again?" He nodded in acknowledgment of Zhu Mei as he gently touched Sanjiu's hair as if not knowing what to do with her. His Patek Philippe watch was half buried in her hair. "I planned to take you to that Japanese restaurant we visited previously."

"When I walked past, I just felt hungry, so..." Lin Sanjiu forced a smile, avoiding Ren Nan's gaze. She lowered her head and put a single french fry in her mouth. Her hair slipped from her shoulders, blocking the view of her expression.

Saying that Ren Nan had some sort of flaw seemed almost unimaginable.

After dating for a few months, Ren Nan quickly won over her buddies and friends with his perfect demeanor, much less Lin Sanjiu herself. No, not only his demeanor; whether it was his looks, wealth, or personality, every aspect was perfect. He was exactly what every woman dreamed of.

Everyone told her that fate treated her too well.

Lin Sanjiu almost couldn't believe how lucky she was when they just started dating. At the time, she woke up smiling every morning, embracing the apocalypse world Ren Nan brought her.