16: We Found Your Husband

"Marcie," Lin Sanjiu controlled her facial muscles and tried her best to sound amiable, "Can you come over here? I want to ask if you have seen my little silver bottle."

Bringing up that little silver bottle, Marcie immediately thought of the Ability Polishing Agent. Marcie did not move from the spot, however. She was baffled and just replied, "I placed it on the sofa, didn't I?" She continued patting Kong Yun's back.

Since they left with Kong Yun, they had no choice but to leave the Ability Polishing Agent upstairs. Lin Sanjiu also knew this.

Lin Sanjiu suddenly knitted her brows, "Agh, I forgot about that!" She turned to face Kong Yun and said, "Blame it all on my bad memory! Can I bring these two upstairs with me? Mrs. Kong, is it okay if you wait here for a moment?"

Kong Yun was stunned for a moment.

Even Lin Sanjiu herself was aware that she was acting quite strange, so she didn't give Kong Yun a chance to reply. She pulled Luther to the entrance and gestured for Marcie to follow, "Come, we can also check if there are other useful supplies."

Marcie still had a doubtful look, but she stood up and complied.

"Mrs. Kong, don't be afraid. We will come back here soon..." Lin Sanjiu said with a smile and pulled open the front door.

Through the little opening before the door closed, Lin Sanjiu saw Kong Yun sitting in the living room, looking back at her expressionlessly. When the front door closed with a bang, her face was enveloped by the darkness.

Just as the door was closed shut, Lin Sanjiu turned and sprinted upstairs. The other two were confused but followed her quickly. Luther was the first one to react, murmuring, "What's the matter? Did you find something amiss?"

"I hope... I hope that I overanalyzed it!" Her words came out in bits as she vigorously climbed up the stairs with wide strides. "I must go upstairs to confirm something first..."

Within a few minutes, the three of them used their full stamina to reach the top floor. Lin Sanjiu's heart pounded hard, and without catching her breath, she pushed open the door and rushed into the 38th floor apartment.

The room was pitch dark. "Give me the lighter!" Lin Sanjiu shouted. Hearing her, Luther threw over the lighter, and with a "click", she lit it in her hand. The orange light from the flame lit half the dining area dimly. There were four bowls on the dining table.

Luther and Marcie exchanged a look and couldn't help looking at the area Lin Sanjiu had illuminated.

"Huh?" Marcie spotted the oddity quicker than Luther. "Why didn't she..."

Previously, they ate in the dark and left immediately, so no one realized anything strange. Now that they looked carefully, they discovered that there was something wrong. There were messy piles of chicken bones and skins beside three of the bowls. However, beside Kong Yun's bowl, there was nothing.

'Well, this isn't strange. Maybe she likes to eat her chicken bones too...' Just as Luther was about to say this, he saw Lin Sanjiu's serious expression as she brought Kong Yun's bowl closer to them. He scanned it and immediately swallowed his words.

In this scathingly hot Hyperthermal Hell, even posthumans like themselves were constantly in a state of mild dehydration. That's why they had to drink water every now and then. Even though they had decided to settle down at the supermarket, each drop of water was extremely precious to them. Naturally, they had drunk all their porridge soup.

However, there was still half a bowl of shimmering white broth in Kong Yun's bowl. When she checked with a spoon, Lin Sanjiu found that there wasn't a single grain of rice left and all the chicken had also been eaten. Only the most precious thing in this apocalypse world, water, was left totally untouched by Kong Yun.