26: It's a Universal Law that the Main Character Must Die? (3)

"Firstly, we must have a grasp on that duoluozhong's movement," Lin Sanjiu said with a serious face as she looked at her companions. "It all started out when Marcie heard a "pop" sound, right? Where did it come from?"

At this point, their group of four vehicles was parked to the side of the road, in the same succession as before. The four of them stood atop the bus, frowning intensely. Marcie closed her eyes to recall the details. "I was driving and I heard a sound, but I couldn't tell where it was from. I only knew that it sounded muffled. I think the source was some distance away from my driver's seat."

'That would mean that it was from the mid-back segment of the bus...' Lin Sanjiu strolled over to the mid-back of the bus and suddenly exerted her strength and leaped upward from that spot. With her enhanced body—her ability to jump had reached a level that shouldn't be underestimated—she managed to jump to the height of an adult human. Thereafter, she landed heavily on the metal roof of the bus, making only a dull thump.

"It's not possible to hear a sound at this volume if you're driving," Lin Sanjiu concluded. "A duoluozhong is at least half my weight, no? Following this line of reasoning, the fellow must have jumped down from a very high location."

From a very high location... They frowned as they recalled their previous journey, trying to remember if they had seen any tall buildings.

Suddenly, Marcie said, "Since the duoluozhong already landed on my vehicle, why didn't it kill me? Instead, it abandoned the nearest target and decided to kill Luther. I mean, the bus has a large windshield, so it would be easy for me to spot it."

"Maybe it planned to create a pileup?" Voley looked to his left and right. "If the second vehicle meets with a mishap, the subsequent two vehicles would be in trouble. My car collided with the back of your vehicle... but I was alright."

"If it wanted to create a pileup, wouldn't it be faster if he targeted Xiao Jiu?" Luther retorted.

Voley took a deep breath and thought about it for a while longer before giving up. "Who knows? Maybe that duoluozhong is crazy, so it just randomly chose you."

"Will it choose me again this time round? Or will it choose someone else randomly?" Luther felt more and more frustrated as they discussed it. "Damn it! This countdown provides too little information. There is no way we can infer anything!"

"Don't overthink matters." Lin Sanjiu walked over and patted his shoulder in a consoling manner. "I don't think it should be too hard to avoid this accident... At least, we are now certain about the location where it happened. We can stop before we reach the slope. We can survey the area and patrol it. Any duoluozhongs we spot, we'll kill. I don't believe we can't overcome this!"

Her resolute and decisive tone immediately raised the confidence of the people in her party. After all, it was just a single duoluozhong!

"That's right! This time round, we will make a preemptive strike!" Voley agreed with a smile.

After they had made their preliminary plans, they continued with the journey as the scorching night continued. To avoid any other complications, their vehicles were in the same formation. The only difference now was that they had learned a lesson from their previous experience. The windows of their vehicles have been winded down, and each of them now had a weapon beside them that was readily accessible.

They drove slowly throughout their journey, and no one spoke a word. Everyone was fully alert and listened carefully to their surroundings. They did not want to miss even a small hint of unusual activity. Feeling her parched throat, Lin Sanjiu swallowed a mouthful of saliva. Just then, Marcie whispered over the walkie-talkie, "It's here!"