91: Dying a Second Time

Lin Sanjiu thought carefully about how she even remembered that there was a place like the customs warehouse. Even if most people knew that imported consumables had to pass through customs, she knew some additional details, but she had forgotten who told her about it. For example, she knew that the customs officers would do a sample testing on the goods and this process would last for a month, and that the food items would be stored in a warehouse during this time.

She had forgotten who is was until she was staring back at that face again. That was because the person in front of her once worked in a trading company.

"What's wrong, Xiao Jiu?" The voice belonging to the person in the car held a cheerful tone. "Aren't you happy to meet an old friend?"

Lin Sanjiu stared directly at the woman before her, momentarily forgetting what she wanted to say.

"Zhu Mei," Lin Sanjiu finally uttered with her dry, parched voice after a long time.

The others behind her sensed that something was amiss, so they went over to help. When they heard their conversation, they exchanged confused glances with each other.

"I haven't seen you in quite a while, Xiao Jiu." Zhu Mei narrowed her almond eyes. "I never predicted that we would have these additional decorations on our faces."

Lin Sanjiu looked at Zhu Mei absent-mindedly as she reached to touch the dark green flowery designs on her face. Zhu Mei laughed when she saw her action. "But yours looks much better."

'Did she just laugh?' This random thought popped up in Lin Sanjiu's mind. Zhu Mei did sound like she'd just laughed, but half of her face was already replaced with a mouthpart, so it was really difficult to tell if that laughter was genuine.

The area where her mouth and nose were was now a deep cavity that housed a mouthpart covered in thick mucus. Zhu Mei swung her mouthpart to one side, and it hit the car door noisily. This scared Lin Sanjiu, who took a step back, waking herself from her dream-like state.

"Could it be that you're afraid of me?" Zhu Mei stepped forward.

Zhu Mei wore shorts, so Lin Sanjiu could clearly see her leg. It was white and moist; her skin was just as delicate as when she was alive.

'When she was alive?'

"Zhu Mei... I went to your house before the weather got this hot." Lin Sanjiu felt that her throat was so dry that it itched. "There were other people in your apartment, and they told me that you were dead..."

"What do you mean by other people?" Zhu Mei crooked her head, and this action caused her mouthpart to cast a metallic reflection within the dark tunnel. "It doesn't matter. Perhaps I was dead then... But since you went there, why didn't you give me a proper burial?"

Lin Sanjiu was speechless. At that time, she thought that Luther and Marcie were going to kill her, so she rushed for the stairs, and after they had cleared their misunderstanding, she came face to face with her first duoluozhong... When she remembered this, she felt a heavy feeling in her chest. She opened her mouth and was just about to say something when she was interrupted by her conversation partner.

"It's all right." Zhu Mei laughed and got out of the car. "If you had really buried me, I might not be alive now."

'Did you change after you died?' Lin Sanjiu thought quietly as she bit her lower lip.

"If I had known that you'd turn into a duoluozhong, I wouldn't have just left you there," Lin Sanjiu said with a stifled tone.

Zhu Mei raised her brows. "So you've already thought of a term? You think that we duoluozhongs don't deserve to live? You think that rather than becoming a duoluozhong, I should die?" The tone she used was grating and oppressive. This attitude was one that Lin Sanjiu had never seen coming from the person before her. She was truly stumped by her questions. Her mind was in a mess, and she did not know how to reply, so she only looked back blankly.