2: Blistering Hot Night With a Steak

What was the difference between the temperature from midnight to 1 am?

If things continued on as usual, no one would probably feel it.

However, tonight was vastly different. The sun had long been set, but the temperature of the sweltering heat in the air seemed to rise gradually with each passing minute. And to make matters worse, it had been days since there was even a little wind. The surrounding air outside the windows was no longer just air, but suffocating, scalding hot air that was waiting to rush towards you.

As if someone had given an order, the small number of families in the city who, for various reasons, did not switch on their air conditioners, now also switched them on. Whereas the people without air conditioners simply could not tolerate it any longer. Pubs, 24-hour convenience stores, offices... Wherever there was a trace of cool air, they would go.

After 30 minutes, with a "Ke Da" sound, a few night lights in the 38th-floor apartment were extinguished. The room was plunged into absolute darkness. The constant soft buzzing sound in the bedroom had also unknowingly stopped at some point.

The central air conditioning had stopped.

After the air conditioner had stopped, Lin Sanjiu tossed frustratedly whilst asleep. Without the maintained temperature of a comfortable 26°C, her body was quickly covered in a layer of sweat. This layer of sweat was like an unbreathable blanket, and before long, she woke up due to the heat.

'Ughh. The remote control seems to be on the bedside cabinet.' A thought flashed past her hazy mind. Just as she was about to stretch out her hand to reach for it, she suddenly felt that something was wrong. She immediately stopped moving her hand. After remaining motionless for a while, she squinted slightly and peeked upward.

A snowy white face hung directly above her own. Two black, cavernous eyes stared straight at her.

'Again! It's happened again!' A loud screech exploded in Lin Sanjiu's mind; however, her throat was so dry, she couldn't even make a sound. Her heartbeat became faster and faster, louder and louder, and that white face leaned in close with his ear to listen. With swiftness, it came near Lin Sanjiu.

Two weeks before, she had once woken up in the middle of the night because she was thirsty. As she got up, she knocked into that face. At the time, she was so shocked that she yelped and scrambled to switch on the lights, only to find that it was Ren Nan.

She didn't know when Ren Nan had sat beside her with an expressionless face in the dark, how long he had been staring at her in this manner — just like tonight.

He explained to her that since he was young, he often sleepwalked.

If it weren't for her doubts, she would have believed him. She now forced down her fears and acted like she had just woken up. She rubbed her eyes and asked casually, "Ren Nan, are you sleepwalking again?"

In the dark, a smile cracked on Ren Nan's face. "Yes, it seems that I've done it again. I didn't scare you, did I?" He spoke totally articulately.

"A... a little..." Lin Sanjiu got out of the bed, almost as if escaping. She stood by the door, which gave her the false impression that she could escape anytime, so she calmed down a little. Only then did she feel the steamer-like temperature of the room. "Why is it so hot? Did you switch off the air conditioner?"

Ren Nan didn't say a thing. He pulled open the thick, heavy curtains, revealing the set of full-length windows. Normally, Lin Sanjiu could see the dazzling night scene of half the city through these windows. On this night, however, the city had lost its everlasting illumination. Even the starlight was blocked by the clouds, leaving only a dead darkness.