6: Outcome of the First Battle... Fled

"You are new, so you don't know this," Marcie said hurriedly, speaking much faster, "Two evolutionary pathways exist for humans to adapt to the apocalypse worlds."

"Ah gu?" An almost perplexed-sounding guttural voice came again from the guardhouse.

"You, Luther, and I all belong to the first type of evolution. For those that belong to the second type, we call them a duoluozhong."

Lin Sanjiu raised her head absently. At the moment, she was still unaware of what was happening.

While Marcie was rushing to finish her sentences, the door handle illuminated by Lin Sanjiu's flashlight started to turn slowly. With a "click", the door opened.

Marcie took a deep breath. "Duoluozhongs will do anything to survive. Since I don't have any combat abilities of my own, we will have to depend on you to defeat it. Otherwise, we will not survive this!" Her words shot out quickly like a machine gun. Just as she finished her sentence, before Lin Sanjiu could even react, she jumped up to the tree beside them.

Lin Sanjiu looked at the spot that Marcie disappeared from, dumbstruck. Then she looked at Luther, who was lying on the ground. Luther smiled at her rather helplessly, showing his sharp buck teeth. "Lady, I can't move anyway... Stop looking at me, the duoluozhong is coming out!"

She scrambled with her flashlight before pointing it back to the door of the guardhouse. When Lin Sanjiu's gaze reached the door, she shoved and swallowed her intended "Don't call me 'lady'!" reply back into her stomach. She had never seen such a disgusting thing...

Its wrinkled, viscous-looking dark brown skin clung tightly to its skeleton. At its joints, the excess skin accumulated in layers. It had shrunk to half the size of its original human body. Other than its skin and bones, there was not a single piece of flesh on its entire body; it was as if all of it had been completely extracted. Above all, the worst thing that raised goosebumps was that barely human-like head. The area where its nose and mouth should have been was replaced with a large, long and slender, needle-like instrument that was like a mosquito mouthpiece. As the duoluozhong approached, saliva dripped from that needle-like instrument drop by drop.

The creature, which barely looked human, was still wearing a security guard uniform; however, the uniform was simply too large for its current body, and even before it took two steps, the uniform slid to the ground. Missing its eyelids, its eyeballs turned in their sockets. The duoluozhong locked its gaze on Lin Sanjiu.

"Gu... You're all so beautiful..."

Unexpectedly, that needle-like instrument that was similar to a mosquito mouthpiece actually produced a drone of human speech. "Your skins look so supple... They must be so moist..."

Lin Sanjiu froze on the spot. Suddenly, there was a whisper from the ground beside her. "Lady, we are all counting on you!"

The voice did not belong to Luther. Lin Sanjiu turned her head and found that it was not a handsome young man that was trapped under the metal gates. Instead, in his place, there was an honest-looking girl who was about ten. She had rosy cheeks and looked like a kid from the countryside.

'Apparently, one of Luther's abilities is shapeshifting. Furthermore, the appearance of his transformation probably depends on his target.' Just as this thought flashed across her mind, Lin Sanjiu scolded back, indignantly, "I'm also injured!" She quickly took two steps back. As she retreated, Luther was revealed. Under the dim light from the flashlight, his small face showed an expression that was on the brink of tears.

Seeing Luther, the desiccated corpse-like duoluozhong with a mosquito mouthpart visibly paused for a moment.

Lin Sanjiu stealthily shifted her position a little.