36: The Missing Walkie-Talki

The word "temporarily" in Lin Sanjiu's sentence did little to dampen Chen Jinfeng's enthusiasm. He gave a loud clap and said zealously, "That's the way! Everyone in the Oasis will become part of human history in the future and be remembered throughout the ages."

Watching them, the members who had been loitering outside the entrance of the factory realized that they had decided to join. They all cheered and rushed toward Lin Sanjiu and the others. They all started clapping. Not one of them did this half-heartedly; all of them clapped very enthusiastically and quickly attracted even more people with more applause.

"Welcome, new members!"

Lin Sanjiu felt a little at a loss facing such a hearty crowd. She turned to look at Luther and Marcie, only to find that both her companions were blushing to the tip of their ears. When Luther spotted her gaze, he sheepishly whispered, "They're so enthusiastic... I've never received such a warm welcome before."

Lin Sanjiu held back her laughter, having the same sentiments.

Chen Jinfeng only managed to get the crowd to stop after he gestured a few times for them to calm down.

"Dear comrades, the most important thing for our new members right now is for them to familiarize themselves with this new environment. The sun is out now, so everyone, please go back to your beds and sleep. We can celebrate their arrival later tonight!"

His words stirred up another round of applause.

"Xiao Yu, please inform the canteen staff that we have three new members today. Tell them not to forget to prepare their share!" Miss Li requested with a bright smile. A girl with a ponytail quickly ran back into the factory. Everyone else also left after some persuasion from Chen Jinfeng, smiling at Lin Sanjiu and the others.

Apparently, the people here in the Oasis also discovered that it was too risky to do anything when the sun was out and the best course of action was to hide and sleep during the day.

Miss Li then said to them, "The dormitories are too warm during the day, so we have partitioned two levels of the basement and brought the beds downstairs... Follow me now, as I will show you to your beds."

"So, where do we park our vehicles?" Unquestionably, this was asked by Lin Sanjiu, who had already made up her mind about not being afraid to be offensive.

"Drive it into our compound; there is an empty space suitable for parking," Miss Li answered warmly. She did not seem displeased this time.

The three of them agreed. They drove into the compound and parked their vehicles in a corner. Lin Sanjiu only realized how huge the compound was when she was inside. The boundary walls between four or five factories had been demolished, creating a vast open area. There were a total of over ten buildings in the Oasis; each of these buildings had two-floored basements that were converted into sleeping quarters for the members. Reflective sheets covered the tops of each of these buildings—under the dangerous sun, white light was reflected everywhere. As they walked around, they had difficulty even opening their eyes.

Through squinted eyes, Miss Li looked at all of them and said in a rather embarrassed manner, "We're almost there. Do you see that building with the '42' sign? The other buildings are fully occupied while that's the only building with available space."

"If there is no one living upstairs, what's the purpose of those reflective sheets?" Lin Sanjiu asked out of curiosity.

"Professor Bai is doing an experiment on heat-insulation. She hopes to lower the interior temperature to within 50°C. If the temperature can be lowered, we will be able to live upstairs and even cultivate crops there with aeroponics..." As she explained this, she suddenly exclaimed, "In the past, 50°C would sound so intimidating! Thanks to the medicine that Professor Bai developed, everyone has much better heat resistance."