19: Who Moved my Corpse Mountain?

The tangerine yellow sun rays were already shining down on the last two steps of the escalator. The strong sunlight was like an eraser, erasing all the darkness from the spaces and revealing the original color of every object. As the sunlight reached its light amber eyes, Lin Sanjiu narrowed her eyes slightly. Having survived in the dark for 48 hours, she could not really adapt to the sudden presence of sunlight.

Aside from the brightness, the surrounding temperature was unmistakably rising rapidly. The heat wave engulfed Lin Sanjiu as though it was going to eat her up alive. For a moment, she almost felt as if her blood was starting to boil. If she had not suddenly attained her [Overall Physical Enhancement] passive skill last night, there was a high possibility that she would not have survived the way back.

It was said that such an ability would modify one's body to a large extent; Lin Sanjiu was beginning to slightly believe that now.

She blinked her eyes a few times, trying her best to get accustomed to the high definition vision that her third ability provided. On the ground, not too far from them, she saw fully detailed splatters of sepia blood stains, dirt stains, putrid pus, and fleshy chunks.

She had just knitted her brows together, not having enough time to process the feeling of disgust, when she suddenly realized the implication of the scene in front of her. Lin Sanjiu's eyes widened instantly. She exchanged looks with Luther who was standing beside her. The two of them took a deep breath simultaneously.

Today, they came up to clear away the corpses. Since yesterday, the pile of corpses that was just by the escalator had started to give off this funny stench. It was akin to having a rotting cadaver on one's doorstep. If there were a sudden outbreak of contagion due to this, they wouldn't be spared even with their enhanced bodies. For this reason, Lin Sanjiu decided to come upstairs to burn the heap of corpses under the glaring heat of the sun.

But now, the two of them found themselves a little confounded. The bloodstains and flesh chunks were undeniably there, but those were the only remnants left at the spot that once housed that mountain of corpses.

"Those... bodies?" Luther muttered as he walked a few steps forward, not noticing that the soles of his shoes were now in a dirty, smelly puddle of fluid. "Don't tell me... Kong Yun absorbed all the dead bodies here last night?"

Even though Kong Yun mentioned that living organisms were more beneficial to her than dead ones, who knew if she was swayed by the readily-available pile of corpses and absorbed them all.

Lin Sanjiu scanned the area a few times as her face got whiter and whiter. She whispered, "It's not her."

"Huh? How can you be sure?"

"There are a few reasons. Firstly, there were no less than twenty to thirty dead bodies here, but it has only been over ten hours from the time she appeared here last night till this morning... She wouldn't have enough time. Secondly, she can absorb the corpses entirely, but what about their clothes? Where are all the clothes on those bodies?" Lin Sanjiu forced herself to calm down, restraining herself from looking at the streets outside.

From the large glass doors of the shopping mall, it was easy to see the same car queue that jammed up the road in front. "Thirdly, take a look outside."

Luther squinted his eyes and looked at the cars in the queue using his Eagle Eyes. He figured out what Lin Sanjiu meant almost immediately. Last night, when they walked through the lines of cars, there were still quite a few people banging on their car windows, requesting for their help to reach here. But now, the cars were all empty, not a single person left. Some of the car windows have been shattered, and others had their doors opened. At a glance, Luther noticed a gray men's shirt and a pair of jeans on the road, with one of its sleeves folded upwards and the other downwards. It was as though the owner froze on the spot while he was still wearing that shirt. Luther recalled since the outfit. Last night, it was still worn by a young man with a fashionable hairstyle.