Chapter 3: The Gut Feeling

Zane and Kawaii~Chan sat on the couch of a nearly empty beach house. There was a plate of cookies on the table in front of them but neither was really in the mood to eat them. After her best friend and roommate's death, Kawaii~Chan had gone on a baking binge.

There were no ingredients left in the house or even the nearby stores thanks to her. But everyone had plenty of her cookies to eat in the meantime.

In this house, though, no one wanted them. It felt wrong to Kawaii~Chan. Everyone always loved her sweets, and she loved making them. She would put her joy and happiness into each batch. But these ones, she'd put her sadness and regret in. Maybe that was why they weren't as good.

Zane, meanwhile, was always frustrated. He'd forgotten the names of everyone he loved, and it angered him. He was tired of calling out a number instead of a name and having no one respond. Everyone else was tired of it too.

He just...Needed to remember. Eighteen and Fifty Two's (Katelyn and Terry's) deaths hadn't affected him nearly as much as everyone else, but it was hard nonetheless. It was hard seeing his girlfriend so sad all the time; she was usually always happy.

It was hard seeing Nine (Aphmau), his best friend, in the same state. He couldn't blame them; they'd lost someone important to them. But it hurt. And he had cared about Eighteen (Katelyn) as a friend, in his own way.

What had really gotten to him was the disappearance of Twelve, his father, and seeing how badly it affected his mother. He didn't want her to have to stay here and suffer much more.

He looked up as Two (Kim) came downstairs.

"How...Is she?" Kawaii~Chan asked. Kim sighed and shook her head.

"No better than yesterday. I think she'll be okay in time, but not yet," She answered. Kawaii~Chan nodded. Lucinda was having a really hard time with Katelyn's death and Kim came by every day to check on her. "How are you taking all of this?" she added carefully. The Meif'wa closed her eyes.

"Not...Well. I miss her..." She whispered.

"We all do, Four," Zane replied, putting his hand on her shoulder. She nodded and hugged him, burying her face in his chest.  Zane stroked her hair and nodded politely for Kim to leave. She did, wanting to check on Garroth.

::::::::

Garroth stood in the garden just outside of the Starlight Hospital. He did this every day, working up the courage to go in and face Travis.

It had been one week since he had killed one of his best friends. He hadn't forgiven himself, and probably never would. He didn't expect Travis to forgive him either, but he felt the need to come by and check on him every day. After all, it was the least he could do for Katelyn.

Guilt attacked him wherever he went, always present in his mind. If only he'd resisted Michael, he'd have one more friend alive right now.

Then there was Aaron, he'd lost all of his memories and was long gone. He and Garroth had never been particularly close, but he still felt a loss over him.

He felt a loss over Zane, too, even though nothing had happened to him. Physically, at least. His own brother couldn't remember his name, and called him Seven when addressing him. It was hard, hearing it all the time. He could barely remember it was him Zane was referring to, most of the time.

But what bothered Garroth most was his father. Garte had disappeared almost without a trace. His mother wasn't taking it well, and it pained him to see her that way. She was convinced he was dead, but Garroth thought otherwise. He was sure he was out there somewhere, and needed to find him, but he had no idea how to do so.