Chapter 7: Different Pt.2

Katelyn sat in the back of her sand-floored cell, waiting for a certain little girl to come and visit her. It would be the third day; at least she was pretty sure it was the third day, where the girl had brought her food in the morning.

It was only in the mornings, and she had only brought a note on the first day, but it still gave her something to look forward to.

For Katelyn, seeing her each morning meant that she still had an ally, and there was still hope for her. It had fallen into the repeating loop of sameness like everything else here, but it was a good kind of sameness. It was comforting.

Today, just as usual, at the same time as usual, the girl came down the stairs no one else ever used carrying a plate.

She wore a white off the shoulder crop top with black shorts, a black headband, and black knee high leather boots. As expected, she had the same black collar with a heart shaped charm she always wore.

Katelyn tried not to smile as she handed her the plate, but something about today was different, and not a good different like the girl's arrival had been. This was the kind of different that sent chills down her spine.

A boy, probably around eighteen, stood just behind her. He smiled when she turned around to face him.

"Stella, fancy seeing you here. When did you get assigned meal duty? I thought Elizabeth didn't trust you down here after last time." He smiled. Stella, so that was her name. Wait, did he say Elizabeth? As in her mother, Elizabeth? No, it couldn't be. She wouldn't be here on Starlight, would she? If they were even still on Starlight; she really had no idea.

"Aidan, good to see you," she smiled at him, but there was anger in her voice, "I wasn't assigned meal duty, I'm just covering for Kelly." The boy, Aidan, smirked.

"Really? Well that's very kind of you, and I'm sure Elizabeth thinks so as well," He replied smugly, "She does know, correct?"

"Of course she knows. Now please get out of my way, I'm meeting with Tristan in ten minutes," Stella said angrily.

"Oh, of course." He smiled, "wouldn't want to keep Tristan waiting, now would we?" She nodded and started walking upstairs slowly, as if she was trying to listen in on something. Aidan then turned his attention to Katelyn. "How are we feeling today?" He asked, pulling up a chair and sitting in front of her cell.

As always, she said nothing.

"Right," he continued, "Well, I could ask further questions but I know they won't be answered anyway. You'd just better hope you're healthy enough then." He smiled evilly and turned to a man standing at the back of the room. "She's cleared, commence phase two," he ordered. The man nodded and came over with keys. Seeing her chance to escape, Katelyn tried to bolt past him the second her cell door was open.

To her surprise, he grabbed her around the waist. Fighting back, she almost broke free of his grasp when two others came to help him. Having barely slept or eaten in weeks, she wasn't strong enough to fight them all off and they dragged her past the cells and down the hall into the area she'd never seen before.

She was right; this was a new kind of different. It was a bad different, and she had no idea what was going to happen to her as a result of it.

::::::::

Aphmau smiled as she looked at her computer screen. It had been a day since Kai approached the group and she'd decided to stay on the island longer. So far they'd heard nothing new, so she was online messaging Aaron again.

Of course it wasn't the same, but he was still fun to talk to. He made her happy, just like always. It helped her forget everything that was going on for a minute and just have fun.

While she wanted him to remember her more than anything, she also wanted him to be happy. She hadn't brought up the memories since the first time they talked since she didn't want to make him worry about something he couldn't even remember.

If it was best for him, she was okay pretending to be just his online friend. Still though, he'd said some things that made her wonder whether his memories could ever come back. They were small, but they were there.

He'd mentioned having taken a werewolf class before, which didn't mean much, but still made her happy. He'd also told her how, for some reason, he didn't like green eyes. They just gave him a bad feeling.

But what caught her attention most was that he'd called her a potato. Only once, and he moved on like nothing had happened, but it was important to her.

After all, that was what he'd called her in high school. Was it possible things were slowly coming back to him? Was it possible she could have her Aaron back? She didn't want to get her hopes up, but it always remained in the back of her mind.

Suddenly, Travis came into the room, and she said goodbye to Aaron and closed her laptop.

"Anything new?" He asked.

"Not since you last asked an hour ago," She replied, smiling. Travis looked down, scratching the back of his neck.

"Sorry...I just...I need to know..." He sighed.

"I know, me too. Waiting to hear more is hard...really hard," She told him.

"Yeah..." He agreed.

"But maybe you could do something to take your mind off of it? I'm sure we'll hear from Kai soon, we just need to consider that it may be another day or two before-" She was interrupted by an orange haired Mei'fwa bursting into the room, phone in hand. He was followed by a hopeful looking Garroth, Lucinda, Sylvana, and Eric.

Kai held the phone to his ear, as if in a call. Aphmau quickly realized this was because he was.

"Alright, Stella, I'm going to put you on speaker phone, repeat what you just said to me again please," He said, pressing the speaker button.

"Um...All I said was hello?" A girl's voice answered. Kai gave everyone a look that said see? I told you.

"Hi Stella, it's Kai. I'm with Katelyn's friends and family, what do you-" He was cut off as Travis grabbed the phone from him.

"Who are you? Where's Katelyn? Is she okay? How do we know we can trust you?" He questioned.

"My name is Stella, but I'm not important. As for Katelyn, I'm not sure where she is right now or if she's okay. That's why I'm calling actually," She replied, "How you know you can trust me? I guess you don't. But I don't think you have many other options."

"What do you mean you don't know where she is right now? Isn't she with you?" Aphmau asked.

"No, not exactly. She was in my basement, but they just took her away and I'm not sure where or what they're planning," Stella explained.

"Who's they?" Lucinda questioned.

"I can't say over the phone; they might hear me and then we'd all be in trouble," she replied, "but if you can meet me in person at The Deep End Diner at one PM, I'll explain everything."

"We shouldn't trust her; it could be a trap." Sylvana spoke.

"But why would she want to trap us? We're not wanted anymore and we've done nothing to her," Garroth replied.

"We'll be there." Travis promised.

"Good," Stella said, "You may want to wear something to hide your identity, in case I'm seen with you by someone. You can all come, but only two of you should actually meet with me. It'll look suspicious if I'm seen with a group."

"Got it," Kai said, taking back his phone, "thank you, Stella, see you then." He then hung up and smiled.

"Who's going to meet her?" Garroth asked.

"I will," Travis said, "and so will you."

"Me?" The werewolf asked.

"Yeah, if it is some kind of trap, you're our best bet to get us out." Travis explained, "Everyone else will come, but watch from afar. If it looks bad, jump in and help us, okay?" Everyone nodded.

They didn't know for sure what to expect, but they were going to get answers, and that was all they could hope for.