Chapter 15: Compromised

'And that's how we'll escape. We just have to hope Kelly doesn't pay too much attention when she makes her rounds tomorrow.'

Katelyn smiled as she read the coded message in the sand. She and Stella had come up with an escape plan, and if all went well they would be out of here by this time tomorrow.

She was so excited! She couldn't wait to see her friends again. Travis, Aphmau, Kawaii~Chan, Lucinda, her dad, and everyone else. Even Garroth, though she'd have to give him a good punch for almost killing her. She was so ready to go home, and get out of here!

That was...Until she heard the news.

"Aidan," Kelly, the current house manager, said, "there's someone at the door. They're asking about Stella." Right now, Kelly was in charge of the house. This just meant she had to stay upstairs in the living room and answer the phone and door if needed.

"What do they look like?" Aidan asked.

"There's a man with white hair and a woman with orange hair. Tristan is also with them." Kelly answered. Katelyn knew who it was immediately; Lucinda and Travis. But why would they come here? How had they found them?

"They weren't supposed to come!" Stella whispered, "I told them not to come! What on earth are they doing?" She was obviously panicked, but Katelyn didn't want to comfort her in front of Aidan, so she stayed silent.

"I'll tell boss. She'll want to know Katelyn's boyfriend came here with Tristan, especially since he was asking about Stella, here." Aidan stated, "For now, just tell them she's grounded. Don't let them in. If they ask about Katelyn, play dumb." Kelly nodded and ran back upstairs, closing the secret door behind her.

No no no! They weren't supposed to come here! Of course Katelyn wanted to see them, but  there was a good chance they'd make things worse and ruin their plans to escape!

Stella looked just as worried as she was. They both knew this would be bad for them, but there was nothing they could do.

::::::::

"We're here to see Stella, is she home?" Tristan asked the girl that had opened the door to Stella's house. She had sea green hair, green eyes, and the same black choker Stella wore, only the charm on hers was a star. Strange, Travis thought.

Her eyes widened at the mention of Stella.

"Um, give me a minute," She said, slamming the door in their faces. Travis could hear her footsteps pounding through the house as she ran, presumably to go and get her.

"Who was that?" Lucinda questioned.

"Her sister, maybe? I'm not exactly sure," Tristan replied, "I've only been here once before when we were little. And Stella barely talks about her family so..."

"How come you never come here?" Lucinda asked.

"Mrs. Aeson doesn't like me much," Tristan explained.

"She sounds kind of awful," Travis stated. The teenage boy nodded.

"From what I've heard, she is." He replied. Finally, the green haired girl came back and opened the door. But Travis was disappointed to see Stella wasn't with her.

"She's grounded," The girl replied, "You can't see her right now."

"O-oh. Would it be okay if you gave her a message-" Tristan started.

"Nope," the girl replied, slamming the door again. "Beat it, losers!" came her shout from inside.

"I wish I could say she's nothing like Stella, but that's exactly like her," Tristan sighed, "it's not like her to get grounded, though. She usually never gets in trouble that I know of. Well, I guess I'll talk to her when she's free again." He turned and walked away.

"So...That's it then?" Travis called. Tristan turned around.

"I mean, yeah. We found her, didn't we? She's just grounded." He replied. With that, he left Lucinda and Travis alone.

"Now what?" Lucinda asked.

"I don't know..." Travis admitted.

"That...Felt off, didn't it?" The orange haired witch asked.

"Yeah, yeah it did." Travis replied, "Why did it take her so long just to tell us Stella's grounded? Wouldn't she know already if they really are sisters?"

"That's the other thing," Lucinda agreed, "they don't seem like sisters at all. They don't look alike, not that all siblings necessarily need to. But they also just had different auras about them."

"I agree," Travis said, "Stella seemed so much more trustworthy. That girl just seemed scary."

"As scary as Katelyn?" Lucinda chuckled.

"Oh heck no. No one can top that," Travis laughed, "but I just don't feel right about this. It's like they're right under our feet and we just can't see it."

"The expression is 'under our noses,' not feet," Lucinda corrected him.

"Right," Travis replied.

"Let's go back home. You're clearly tired," Lucinda said, "we can come back again tomorrow and see if someone else answers." Travis nodded. Maybe things would be better tomorrow.

::::::::

"They WHAT?!" Elizabeth screamed.

"They came asking about Stella, boss." Aidan replied.

"And what did you tell them?" She asked.

"We told them she was grounded and they couldn't see her," Kelly answered.

"I see..." Elizabeth replied, "Well, obviously we can't stay here. We've been compromised, and they're just going to come back."

"Where will we go?" Aidan questioned.

"Well, since it was Stella that blew our cover, I'll see about talking to her father," Elizabeth said, turning to the hallway doors, "After all, I'm sure he'll have much to say about this." Stella gulped. She did not want to see her dad, not now. Not after all she'd done and all the rules she'd broken.

He hated her, she knew this. He never let her forget it. Her mom didn't hate her, but she didn't care about her either. If her dad found out what she'd done, who knew what he'd do to her? And it wasn't like Elizabeth would stop him.

She shivered at the thought. Why couldn't Travis, Lucinda, and Tristan just wait? If they'd waited one more day, she and Katelyn would have been able to break out. Now, it didn't seem like there was any chance of that.

"Hello? Lei? Yes, I need a favor..." Elizabeth spoke into her phone, leaving the room.

Stella looked over at Katelyn, her expression unreadable.

'If they're moving us,' Stella wrote in their code in the sand, 'maybe we should leave a message in the sand?'

'Why?' Katelyn wrote.

'I don't know. In case someone comes down here that could help find us? I just feel like we should.' Stella answered. Katelyn nodded. 'Okay. You write out the key in the sand in your cell, but make sure it's hidden so nobody will notice it unless they look. I'll write the message.' Stella wrote.

Stella selected a small corner of her cell and began writing the coded message.

'We've been taken to Lei Gordon's house. –Stella and Katelyn.' It was a simple message, but it would do the trick. If anyone came down, found and decoded it, they would know exactly where to go. She just had to hope someone did, and that they would have their best interests in mind.

"Yes. Alright. Thank you, Lei." Elizabeth spoke, ending her call as she came back into the room. "Everyone pack up, we leave at midnight." They did as they were told. "As for you two," she said, turning to her daughters, "see you in the morning." She said the last part in a sadistic way, with a smirk on her face.

With that, Aidan came into Stella's cell. He grabbed her and held a cloth against her mouth. She tried to fight back but she was too small and he was too strong. A few seconds later, the world went black.

A/n: I'm sorry I posted this chapter so late! Today was busier than I had expected but I will plan accordingly next time. Thanks for reading!