Chapter 4: Different

She woke up. To her dismay, she woke up again. Same place, same time, same way. The same guy as always turned on the lights and walked down the hall shouting for everyone to wake up. Katelyn didn't know who 'everyone' was. As far as she was concerned she was the only one here. Well, the only one they kept in a cell.

She had the suspicion that someone was being kept in the sound proof room at the end of the hall, in a kind of solitary confinement, but she couldn't be sure.

Having nothing better to do, Katelyn studied the layout of her prison for the thousandth time. She was in a small cell with a bed and a toilet, much like you'd expect a jail cell. There were three other cells; one on her right and two across from her. The walls in all of them were bare, except for the one next to her. It had unicorns, dragons, and fairies drawn on it, most likely by a child.

Who would put a child in a jail cell? She had no idea.

There was no floor anywhere in the room, only sand, as if they were on a beach, which she suspected they were. The only light came from the dim bulbs in the ceiling, making Katelyn think they were most likely underground too. Again, she had no idea.

To the left of her cell was a storage area filled with boxes. There was also a staircase across the room from her. She wasn't sure where it led, and hardly anyone seemed to use it as an entrance or exit. Anyone that came in or out came from the set of large doors next to the cell to her right.

She didn't know what was past those doors, but it seemed to be some kind of meeting area. She knew there was a solitary cell somewhere back in the area, but that was it.

She watched the normal hustle and bustle of the mornings, or what she assumed were the mornings. The same people came in and out, taking things from storage and putting them back, mostly ignoring her.

Almost all of them, she recognized. They worked on the island as tour guides.

Everyone that came in or out wore a black choker around their neck. Though, Katelyn wouldn't call it a choker a much as a collar. A dog collar. Even she had one around her neck when she woke up in this place.

She'd tried to get it off, but it never worked. It was so tightly sealed; she suspected they'd used magic. It just made her seem more like a prisoner. But she was sure everyone else didn't think of them that way.

In fact, she believed they chose to wear them. They weren't prisoners, not like her.

Still, she always expected someone to turn to her, send her a look of sympathy, a smile, anything. But no one ever did. Occasionally, though, they made eye contact with her. Every one of them had emerald green eyes. It reminded her of Travis.

Travis...She missed him so much. She missed everyone so much. Even Garroth, who had nearly killed her and put her in this situation in the first place. She just missed her friends.

But they all probably thought she was dead. They wouldn't be on the island much longer, if they still were. She didn't know how long it had been.

She just knew that Garroth had stabbed her and thrown her off the cannon, she had been sure she was going to die, and then she woke up here, in a cell with a collar. Her wound had been cared for and well healed. As if someone had sped up the healing process somehow.

Since then, every day was the same; spent just sitting in a cell, watching as the same things happened over and over. She was caught in a loop and it was driving her insane. She didn't know how much longer she could take being here.

That's when she came downstairs. At first, Katelyn didn't notice anything was off; just that someone was bringing her food; the same things as always at the same time as always. She took it, like normal, but then realized: This wasn't the same person that always brought her food. It was a different one.

A little girl, to be specific. She had long blonde hair with a dark blue streak, kind of like Ein used to have back in high school. She seemed to be around ten, and was wearing a blue crop top with a black skirt and black bracelets on each wrist. But what really caught her attention were her eyes. They were blue, unlike everyone else here.

She was different. But she was still familiar...Where had Katelyn seen her before?

As the girl turned to leave Katelyn realized; she was her and Travis' tour guide when they first arrived on Starlight. So she, like everyone else, worked on the island as a guide. Katelyn now realized she also wore the same black collar as everyone there. So she wasn't so different after all.

"I don't know why you bother, kid." A man with red hair said. The little girl turned to him, an eyebrow raised. "She won't eat anyway. We've all given up." The girl smiled and walked over to Katelyn.

"At least try the toast. I worked hard on it! Plus I even got you the good napkins," She said with a wink. And with that the girl left. Katelyn was very confused, but also curious, so she looked down at the napkins on the plate.

When no one was looking, she picked one up. Nothing. She guessed the girl must have been messing with her, and went to push the food away. But then she saw that the second napkin had writing on it. It was very small and barely noticeable, but it was there.

She carefully picked it up and read the message.

Katelyn, be very careful reading this. Don't let anyone see you, and don't be suspicious.

She did as she was told and continued reading.

My name isn't important, but I want to help you. I'm sure you know I used to be your tour guide. I saw the man you were with on the tour, your boyfriend, in the hospital a little over a week ago. He's fine; in fact I think he was released. But I'm pretty sure he thinks you're dead. I don't know why you're being kept here, but like I said I want to help.

Please trust me. I'll make sure he knows you're alive. There's a pen on the plate under the napkins, use it to write the name and number of one of your acquaintances; someone you don't know very well but who will know to contact your boyfriend about this. That way, it won't be as suspicious when I call them to tell them you're alive. Please, trust me.

Katelyn was shocked. Who was this girl? She didn't know whether she could trust her, but it was her only shot. She wrote the name and number of an acquaintance, as requested, and placed the napkin and pen back on the plate.

When the girl came back down she didn't make eye contact. She took the plate and spoke.

"Didn't feel hungry?" She asked. Katelyn shook her head, giving her a knowing look. "Well, that's alright." The girl added with a smile.

It was then that Katelyn noticed that the charm on her collar. Everyone had one, most likely to represent their rank. Up until now, aside from herself, everyone she'd seen had had a star shaped charm. Her own charm was shaped like a skull, but this girl had neither. Instead, her charm was a heart. Katelyn wondered what it meant, but decided it didn't matter.

What mattered was that she'd found an...Ally, of sorts...She'd found someone new, someone truly different from everyone else here.

She'd found hope thanks to the little girl, and she wasn't about to let it go.

::::::::

As soon as she got back upstairs, Stella carefully checked the napkin for Katelyn's response. Just as she'd hoped, the name and number were there. Picking up her phone, she left the house.

If she was going to make this call, she needed to do it where no one would overhear, and there were always people around at home. She decided to head to the small library around the corner, where it was unlikely anyone working for her parents would overhear.

She dialed the number and waited as it rang one...two...three times. Then someone picked up.

"Hello?" A man's voice said into the phone.