Chapter 13: The Cannon

chapter 13
"Are you sure this meeting is a good idea?" She asked.

"Yes, Kelly. It'll be fine. They're not going anywhere," he replied.

"But they can talk! Freely! Without us around to supervise! Doesn't that sound like a bad idea?" Kelly exclaimed.

"After what happened, you really think they'll talk? Katelyn holds grudges longer than that," Aidan replied, "just look at the boss. How long has she been mad at her?"

"I guess..." She sighed.

"Look, it'll be fine. Like I told the boss, we've got nothing to worry about. And even if they do talk, it won't help them much. They're still not getting out of here." He explained. Kelly nodded.

As the two left through the hallway doors along with everyone else, Stella thought about what he'd said. Would Katelyn really hold this against her forever? But they were sisters! She couldn't do that...Could she?

The blonde waited until she was sure everyone had left for this big meeting before she finally spoke.

"Katelyn?" She said. Nothing. "I think we should talk..." She continued.

"I don't want to talk to you," Katelyn said coldly.

"We don't have to talk about, you know..." Stella added, "but an escape plan would be nice."

"Yeah," Katelyn replied, "it would."

"So help me come up with one! I can't do it on my own and everyone's in that meeting so it's the perfect time," Stella said.

"True...You are like, ten..." Katelyn said.

"I'm twelve! But the point is I need help." The blonde retorted, "Don't you ever want to see Travis again?"

"Fine," Katelyn replied, "We'll truce, for now."

"Good!" Stella said, "now, I was thinking we could have some kind of written code. That way, we can talk and communicate these things without having to speak." Katelyn nodded.

Not long later, the two had come up with a code and hidden key they could use to write in the sand floors as a form of communication if someone else was around.

"So, what now?" Stella asked.

"I'm not sure," Katelyn admitted, "it doesn't seem like a good idea to discuss the plan outload. Maybe that should be something we just write."

Stella nodded in agreement, but honestly didn't want this interaction to end. She'd just gotten Katelyn to talk to her, and didn't want to give it up that easily.

"What's your dad like?" she asked.

"My dad?" Katelyn questioned, surprised by the suddenness. The younger girl nodded. "He's the best..." she replied, "strong, caring, oversensitive." She chuckled.

"He sounds so much better than mine." Stella smiled.

"What's yours like?" She asked.

"He hates me, to put it lightly," Stella replied, "he says he never wanted kids, especially a rebellious daughter like me. He feels like I'm a burden."

"Sounds like the worst," Katelyn turned to her. She sighed, "I'm sure my dad would love you." Stella smiled brightly.

"You really think so?" She asked.

"Yeah, I do." Katelyn replied. And she wasn't lying.

::::::::

"Everyone have their assignments?" Elizabeth asked into the microphone. She was met with only nods from the people filling the large room. "Then with that, this meeting is concluded," she said, "let the rebuilding of the Celestial Cannon commence!"

"Phase three!" Aidan, her second in command, shouted.

"Phase three! Phase three! Phase three!" The crowd chanted, dispersing.

"That was an amazing speech," he said turning to her. She shook her head.

"It simply told them what they needed to know, nothing special." She replied.

"Still, that in itself is amazing." He told her. She rolled her eyes, returning to business.

Katelyn's tests had come back with not only the results she needed, but better. It was clear she was more than strong enough for this plan thanks to the forever potion running through her veins.

So far, so good. All she needed to do now was hold onto her eldest daughter until the time came, and rebuild the cannon. From there, she would have everything she needed to finish what Michael had started.

Everything was going according to plan.