Chapter Thirty-Five

If I've learned anything in my life, its that happiness leaves as soon as it comes.

One minute you're smiling and laughing and jolly and the next you're in a swirling pit of depression.

It consumes you, like a wave on the beach, and I fear that theres no way I can change that.

"Ms. Hall?", Dr. Lester asks.

Its currently 9pm and visiting hours are over, therefore I am alone with Dr. Lester.

"Yes?", I ask.

"I believe you made me a promise earlier today, did you not?"

"Fuck. I did, didn't I?", I mentally slap myself. "Okay, sit down, I'll tell you."

I explain everything to him, the Iron Rose, the companionship, everything.

"You aren't the first one we've had here.", he says.

"What do you mean?"

"Theres exactly two hundred people like you in the USA. Four in each state. The four belonging to New Jersey have been here for the exact same reason as you.", he tells me. "Now, get some sleep. You get discharged tomorrow."

He leaves the room and I'm left alone again.

I get to go home soon, and by home I mean home. As in Ohio home. Where I won't be allowed to interact with anybody again... and I'll be alone again.

I fall asleep to the thought of loneliness and depression.

-----------------------

"Wake uppppp!", I hear my mother coo. "We're going home today!"

"We're what?!", I yell, shooting up from my laying position. "We can't leave yet!"

"We have to, honey."

"No we don't! We can stay here for another day or two! I need to say goodbye. I can't leave yet mum. I just.... Can't. I'm not ready to go back into complete isolation, mum. I can't.", I say, my voice cracking and my eyes filling with tears.

"I'll talk to your father...", she says, walking out of the room.

Johnnie quickly replaces her slot, coming and sitting next to my bed.

"Kyle told me that you guys are leaving today....", he trails off.

"I'm gonna miss you so fucking much, Johnnie.", I say, starting to cry.

"Thank you, for showing me what its like to live. Thank you for loving me like nobody else has ever loved me before. Thank you for accepting me for who I am. Thank you.", I kiss him slowly, our lips melding together in perfect sync.

This kiss isn't rushed or sloppy or lustful.

Its loving.

Its an "i know i probably wont ever see you again" kiss.

Because I know I probably won't ever see him again.

We pull away after a while and just kind of stare at each other.

Dr. Lester comes in and unhooks me from all the machines, gives me my belongings and discharges me.

"Thank you for everything Dr. Lester.", I smile, leaving the hospital and finding my dad's rental car and climbing into the back seat, powering my phone on.

"So we've been talking....", my mother says. "And we've decided to stay in New Jersey for a few more days, but thats it!"

"Oh my God thank you guys!", I cheer, smiling widely.

We get back to the hotel in no time and Johnnie and I practically run to our hotel room.

When we get in the door I immediately jump onto the bed, laying down.

"Hospital beds suck.", I sigh.

Johnnie crawls overtop of me and pins my hands above my head.

"I missed you.", he says, kissing down my neck until he finds my sweet spot.

"Fuck you.", I say, bringing my lips to his and tugging on his lip ring.

----------------------

"Hey Melody?", he asks.

"Yeah?"

"Wanna come meet my friend, Alex? She's here for the next few days and I haven't seen her in a while."

"Sure. Sounds like fun.", I say. "When are we leaving?"

"Uhm, now?", he laughs.

"Okay."

I get up and grab my stuff, putting on a sweater and beanie.

"Lets go!"

------------------

I don't remember much.

Just meeting that Alex chick.

Johnnie went to the bathroom and now I'm here... Where am I?

"Oh look what the cat dragged in!", I hear somebody cackle.

Alex.

I desperately try to move or scream or something but she's tied me up and duct-taped my mouth shut.

"You stole Johnnie away from me. And now you're gonna fucking pay you little bitch!"

She slaps me before shutting me into the trunk of her car.

We drive for a while before eventually we stop and she roughly pulls me out of the trunk.

My eyes adjust to the sunlight and I figure out where we are.

We're in the middle of nowhere on a bridge with a surging river underneath it.

"Say goodbye.", she cackles before pushing me off the edge, and the last thing I remember is my body hitting the water.

-End Of Book One-