Six - The Lingering Scent

I didn't know I was about to be in trouble when I entered Gran gran's house, keys rustling when I placed them onto the counter, a relieved huff escaping my lips as soon as I was able to get rid of my bag.

"m home!" I shouted into the empty corridor, smiling when I heard the familiar sound of vegetables being chopped coming from the kitchen. Fridays were, by far, my favorite days.

It was weird though, that Grandma didn't respond when I came in, usually being a very talkative person by nature.

She just kept on chopping her tomatoes, staying silent, until she stopped completely and turned around to me with a curious expression.

I cocked my head to the side, watching how the old woman kept on staring at me oddly while drying off her hands and then coming closer.

"Wh-"

She frowned, "Why do you smell like that?" 

I blinked, "What do I smell like?"

Her lips tugged downwards, a very rare sight to see from her, "Pheromones." She deadpanned.

"Phero...mones?"

"M-hmm..." She looked truly displeased now, "Is there a shifter in your class?"

"A what now?!" I asked again, this time louder, weirded out by how close she came, with a deep scowl on her face, that only deepened now.

"No... by the strength of it I'd rather say you rubbed yourself against one, damn."

Did she just say damn?

"Uhm... I have no clue what you're talking about Gran, could you please back off, you know I don't like this."

"Ah, sorry..." The woman said, "Didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, honey." Clearly distressed, she brushed the white locks out of her face that had escaped the loose ponytail she was wearing.

"I'm..." She hesitated for a moment, "You say you don't know what I'm talking about?"

"Y..eah?" I said, not quite sure.

"Well...just..." I'd never seen my Grandma look so distressed before. And I didn't like it, I didn't like it at all, "Just be careful, okay?"

I nodded silently, watching with confused eyes how she went back to chopping her tomatoes, the dim sunlight that was falling through the dirty window illuminating the wrinkles that had suddenly appeared on her forehead.

Worried, but still confused, I slowly turned around, making my way upstairs to my room.

Somewhere, in the back of my head, a part of me registered that this must've had something to do with what happened between Jungkook and me today, but I successfully managed to force this thought in the very back of my mind.

___

Honestly, I had been kind of scared to see Jungkook again after the weekend.

What had happened in the library was just too much for me to comprehend, something I didn't want to worry about or - honestly - didn't have the nerve to think about.

To me, Jungkook had just been a weirdo who was just as bad at social interaction as I was, with a lack of understanding for the concept of personal space. Til this point, I mean.

Chemistry. Just like last time, Jungkook and I were the only ones sitting in the back, Jungkook sitting a few seats away from me.

Honestly, I was kind of shocked when I saw him.

While he usually looks like a chaotic little troublemaker, who overslept and had to hurry to class, he today looked completely and utterly tired.

Drained, I'd say, skin looking paler than usual, with dark circles under his eyes, that were missing the spark I'd seen in them before. Even his hair was all messy - not in the usual I-Want-To-Look-Like-I'm-Not-Even-Trying way. Just messy.

...

Now, if you ask yourself why the fuck I knew so much about his usual appearance after just a week... I refuse to answer this. Nope. We aren't talking about this now. Mind your own damn business.

Whatever, I couldn't help but to keep on glancing over to Jungkook, a worry edging itself into my mind, that perhaps I was the reason for his state. There was a small voice of logic that told me that this was ridiculous and I shouldn't worry too much. But then again... worry isn't something you can just turn off like that, right?

This inkling thought just wouldn't let me go, so I decided to step over my tendency to overthink for once and tapped his shoulder at the end of the lesson.

"Uhm... Jungook?"

His head shot around immediately, expression like that of a cornered deer or something. I backed off a bit surprised.

"Y-Yeah?"

Like I mentioned already, this dude's a lot taller than me, so I was a bit thrown of when I noticed how he slouched down in order to seem smaller, eyes wide like that of a little puppy. 

"I just... uhm, you look like shit and-"

"Thanks man." He said with a sobered expression, but shut his mouth when I signalized him with a frantic hand gesture to shut the fuck up.

"-You don't look very well, just wanted to ask if everything's okay..."

And just like that, his eyes lit up, that spark I saw before illuminating his iris like a golden shimmer, but he tried to keep his expression neutral, to not show that he was super excited for some fucking reason (obviously, he was doing a poor job at hiding it).

"Yeah! everything's fine, don't worry."

I nodded, biting my tongue to refrain from saying anything more, that could possibly offend him, "Well... good. Good."

I waited for him to say something, because he very much looked like he wanted to get something else off his chest.

"Uh- Y/N I also-" He looked away, "Wanted so say 'm sorry for.. Friday. I wasn't acting like myself that day."

"Well, clearly." I said dryly, "Don't worry about it though. It's fine."

He nodded smiling and I waited for a moment. Waited for him to go on and explain what the fuck happened with him and who those two other guys were that just appeared out of nowhere.

But he didn't say anything anymore, just stared at me very intensely, until I had enough and turned around, hurrying outside to leave. This guy somehow managed to always make me uncomfortable.

I was almost out of the classroom, when a hand on my shoulder stopped me from leaving.

"Wait, Y/N." Jungkook said loudly.

"Hm?" I whipped around, annoyance evident in my voice.

"I..." The dark haired blushed. HE BLUSHED. "You smell very nice."

Aha

I cocked my head to the side, frowning, "Are you.. trying to flirt or something?"

"No! I mean I just..." He looked miserable now, "You smell very nice.. to me.. especially."

"Oookayyy." I drawled out slowly, gently removing his hand from my shoulder, "Thanks, I guess. See ya' around Jeon!"

I quickly turned back around to leave, severely irritated by this guy.

The last thing I saw before leaving was Jungkook squeezing his eyes shut and slowly laying his head back while sighing, in a very obvious 'I fucked that up' way.

___

do you ever just... look at Park Jimin and think that god is really out there sending angels to look over us

xx