Out to Sea 2.0

Yes, I know I've been gone a while. Life's busy. Anyways, this is the part 2 from my one-shot "Out to Sea" that I wrote like a thousand years ago. If you want to be caught up, go read that first. If you don't care, cool. Jump right in.

--

Perrie found Jade standing at the railing few feet away, looking over the sea. The wind was blowing softly, making her curly brown hair swirl around her. The captain turned as she approached, her gaze softening when she realized who it was.

"How are you feeling?" Jade asked by way of greeting.

Perrie shrugged. "Physically, okay, I guess," she replied, joining Jade at the railing. "Mentally, I don't even know."

She glanced over to see Jade looking at her sympathetically. "I'm sorry," she said, before frowning. "God, I'm sure you're tired of hearing the words, I'm sorry by now."

"Yeah," Perrie admitted. "It's okay, though. I guess my situation does warrant more than a few apologies."

Jade sighed, returning her attention to the horizon. "Yeah, but apologizing doesn't do anything," she responded. "They're just words, not even always well intended."

Perrie caught onto the bitterness that infiltrated Jade's tone at the end of the sentence but chose to ignore it. "So, this is the S.S. Thirlwall," she said instead, turning to take in the ship. It was impressive, large and expertly crafted. It had sustained damage due to the storm, but even now it looked majestic.

Jade nodded, her eyes distant. "Yeah, it was my father's ship before it was mine," she replied softly. "I inherited the ship and the legacy of the Thirlwall name."

Perrie nodded, not knowing what else to say. Instead of adding anything else, she changed the topic again. "So, are we settling on land for repairs soon?" She asked. 

Jade nodded again. "We're less than a day's journey away from an island that will have the supplies necessary to help fix the ship," she said. "Some of the residents owe me, and some fear me. Either way, we'll get what we need there; supplies, and a solid night's sleep." She turned slightly so that her back was facing Perrie, signaling the end of the discussion. 

After a few minutes of standing next to Jade and staring at the ocean, Perrie began to feel light headed. It was only normal, she supposed, to feel unwell the day after you almost died. Accompanying her light-headedness was fear, deep in the pit of her stomach. Every time she glanced at the ocean, the feeling returned. Before, the ocean had been her favorite place, home to her fondest memories. Now, it served as a reminder of all she'd lost, of the bodies it had claimed in the destruction of the S.S. Edwards.

Feeling overwhelmed, she decided to go back down to the cot she'd been assigned. She barely made it there before she collapsed onto the mattress, the world spinning before going dark.

The next time she opened her eyes, there was considerably less light streaming down from above deck. Perrie sat up gingerly, wincing as her side protested. She'd fainted in a rather ungraceful position. She was simultaneously relieved and disappointed that Jade hadn't come to check on her and found her passed out like that.

She took a minute to stretch then slowly rose and tottered up to the deck, gripping the railing for support. When she emerged the first thing she noticed was that she was looking right at a tree. 

"Welcome back," a voice from behind her said, making her jump. She turned to find a woman walking toward her with long, dark dreadlocks and a warm smile. "You disappeared below deck for quite some time."

"Hi," Perrie replied hesitantly. Usually, she'd be gruffer in this situation and demand what was going on, but given the circumstances, she barely had the mental energy to talk to anyone. Strangely enough, she found herself missing Jade's presence. "What's going on?"