28

"She what!?" Jesse burst out in a fit of laughter

"First of all, I hate you!" Delilah told Connor, "and second of all," she tuned to Jesse and Clarissa, "I smelt his broom polish! That means I like the smell of the polish not him!" Her face was turning redder by the second as the girl hid her face in her hands.
She couldn't possibly like Oliver. She had no time for boys, she had more important things to think of. She had her parents to worry about, she had school, she had two months worth of  homework. But why did she have to grieve over her family? She wasn't sad, she didn't feel sad. She was over it, she was over her mother's death, her father's imprisonment, her brother's injuries. She didn't care for what was the truth and what was a lie.
Maybe it was because other people did and other people talked.
"So when are you two going on a date?" Clarissa giggled and Delilah hit her shoulder, "No! Stop!"

Oliver seemed all too happy for the rest of the week. Alexander and Percy definitely noticed it, occasionally giving him smug looks.
"Plan on asking her out?" Percy asked.
"I will the day you go ask Penny out on a real date!" Oliver retorted.
"That's never going to happen, Mate" Alexander put a hand on Oliver's shoulder, "I think you should tell her before you leave for Christmas, give her time to think it over and by the time you're back, it will all be less awkward" He advised and Oliver shook his head. He didn't want to overwhelm Delilah with what was already happening in her family. For now, Oliver only had to be the person who was her friend and there for her. Plus, just because she smelt his leather gloves and his special broom polish didn't mean she was interested in him. It could've just been someone from her family like her brother. She loved her brother.

The next few weeks were a little awkward between the two. They didn't look each other in the eyes, they didn't talk unless necessary and they didn't spend anytime together without the group being there.
The rest of the group was enjoying this awkward stage far too much. They teased and laughed at the two shamelessly, turning both of them far too red. Oliver was secretly enjoying it because he had come to terms with it a long time ago but this was new to Delilah. She wasn't even sure if she liked him romantically or if she just enjoyed his company.

"Hey Petunia!" The girl was seated by the black lake in the freezing cold but she enjoyed the cool winds. Oliver ran over to her, completely buried in  several layers and scarves as opposed to Delilah who wore a light jacket on top.
"Ollie!" Delilah enthusiastically waved at the boy who frowned at the nickname.
"What?"
"Nothing. I was trying something but it didn't work" Delilah told him nonchalantly.
"Okay.." He raised an eyebrow at her but then brushed it off, "Anyways I was going to ask yo-"
The boy was cut off by James who had joined them both now, "-Hey sorry Oliver, I gotta run so give me like a second" He turned back to Delilah, "Are we still on for hogsmeade this weekend?" James asked her and she nodded. He nodded at a grumbly Oliver before running back to his friends who were a little away from them.
Oliver took a seat next to Delilah and asked, "You're going on a date with him?"
"Not a date, just catching up, as friends" Delilah explained.
"I don't understand why you're friends with that jerk" Oliver threw a sour look behind him, where James had gone.
"He's not a jerk!" Delilah told him with a frown.
"Not in my eyes" Oliver muttered.
"What were you going to ask me anyways?" Delilah changed the topic before it got too heated and awkward.
"Oh-um-" The truth was, Oliver was going to ask Delilah to hogsmeade but James beat him to it. Stupid James, always trying to one up Oliver. This rivalry would never end. "I was just asking if you're done with potions. The older homeworks. I could help you if you want because I'm amazing at it!" He smirked.
"Stop the self flattery, and yes! I'm struggling so much. Honestly,I would rather fail" Delilah scoffed and Oliver laughed shaking his head at the girl.