36

Waiting for her father was exhausting

Waiting for her father was exhausting. Delilah didn't even know if she wanted to see him. Her aunt and uncle had gone to the ministry to 'clear things up' as they said and she was here with her brother waiting for them to return.
"So, you're turning seventeen tomorrow " Matthew tried to divert them, "what's the plan?"
"Yeah I was going to go to Clarissa's tomorrow and we were all going to Oliver's the next day but I'll change it when dad's back" she told him.
"What? Wait you're staying at Oliver's? Hell no!"
"Excuse me?" Delilah cocked her eyebrow at her brother, "We are ALL going to be there"
Matthew looked at her skeptically and she stared right back challenging him to say something.
"Fine, go..it's not like I'm your parent" Why was he so upset about this. She was only enjoying with her friends, it's not like their family was there.

"I don't know if I'm excited to meet dad" Delilah told Matt, "I missed him a lot and we need a father but what he did to mum-"
"-We don't know he did it. He was accused of it. I really missed him you know"
"Me too. It's just-he just-Left" A big part of Delilah wanted to meet him but a tiny voice in her head was telling her that she shouldn't. Her heart was constantly beating louder and louder, she kept pacing around the room and as time went on her brain kept telling her that she was going to meet her father. She loved him and she believed that he didn't do it. Matthew was defending his father a lot when Delilah doubted him. She wasn't sure if he believed it or if he was trying to convince himself.
They waited in anticipation for him, most of Delilah was excited and she really wanted to just tackle her father into a hug.

It was much much later that they two siblings heard the door click and creak open. They both stood up promptly and saw their Aunt walk in and then their uncle and then they saw the door close.
"Where is he?" Matthew asked.
"He didn't come.." Megan Rose told her niece and nephew.
"What do you mean?" Delilah asked.
"He said he couldn't meet you..not yet" Augustus added.
"But-what-I can't-why?"
"Let's sit down and talk about it" That was the right thing to do but not for Delilah. She was so done with family . She felt like she needed air but she wasn't able to breathe. She felt her eyes water not from sadness but from Anger, she felt it boiling inside her. That voice in her head was right, she shouldn't have expected anything from her family.

The girl sat in her room, locked from the inside and no one trying to open it from the outside. Matthew had decided to give her sometime to herself. She had to wait only four more hours until she was seventeen. Four more hours till she could do magic outside Hogwarts.
She only opened the door for her aunt who gave her some dinner before locking it up again.

When the clock struck twelve and Delilah knew that everyone was a sleep, she grabbed her trunk and her wand. Was she really doing this? yes. Was this going to work? possibly.
Think and focus. Picture the place. Don't think about anything else. Firm grip on your wand. Delilah was lucky to have a Unicorn hair core, it was least likely to fluctuations and extremely loyal. It made magic easy for her.
She whipped her wand and got sucked into nowhere. Her feet felt the rough road as she fell to the ground. She opened her eyes to see where she was. Looking around, she realized that she had done it. She had successfully apparated to her destination, well a little farther than it, but good enough.