44

Oliver reached home to see his parents waiting for him at the door

Oliver reached home to see his parents waiting for him at the door. His immediate instinct was to hug them tight and never let go but he wasn't so sure he'd be able to hold on anymore.
"How?" He asked.
"She pulled some strings" His father staid.
"I'm eighteen" Oliver argued.
"I don't understand it yet either, let's go through it together"

Oliver sat with his parents as they handed him a paper, a letter from the ministry. He read through it but was completely confused.
"What does this mean?" He asked.
"Well, first, you're back under the trace because you're under the their care now" Mrs. Wood sighed, "no apparating, no magic outside school"
"I can live with that" He breathed.
"Until you leave Hogwarts. Even if you're of age, you're still in school. After that you're legally your own person and under your own care"
"So what is the problem? Only a few months right?"
"If she wins the case," Mr. Wood paused and looked at his wife," you'll be under her care until may at least. That means she can move you out of Hogwarts, take you to another freaking country! Because legally your mother and we won't have any contact with you, we won't be able to help you because we didn't legally adopt you"
"But my name is Oliver Wood. Wood, which is your surname. I'm your kid."
"Wizards can be identified in two ways, one is through your wand. We bought your wand under the name of Oliver Wood. Another is official ministry papers, where your name is registered under your old name"
"It shouldn't be that hard to win this case, but we don't know what she can do"

No one from the group had any idea what happened with Oliver and they didn't know what to do but worry. The whole Gryffindor common room was talking about it when he didn't show up to the Quidditch match between Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. 

James definitely took advantage of Oliver not being there, he spent a lot more time around Delilah, he spent more time on the Quidditch pitch and he spent a lot of time taking in his captain 'fame' or whatever. 

Delilah on the other hand was only worrying about Oliver, he asked her not to send him a letter but she couldn't control herself, her curiosity and worry got the best of her. 

Oliver spent quite a few days looking through official papers from the ministry. 
"Don't they have lawyers?" Mr. Wood asked. 
"Not exactly," Mrs. Wood explained, "We don't have that profession because we can fight our own cases"
"That's so stupid" He seemed annoyed, very annoyed. Being a muggle, Mr. wood didn't understand the wizarding world very well, and some of those were valid. 
"I know, but there's nothing we can do"

After a few days, Mrs. Wood insisted on Oliver going back to school. They had to visit the Ministry once before it all and wait for a court date. He wasn't doing much sitting home other than worrying. Oliver refused several times, he wanted to help. Plus, going to school meant explaining it to his friends which he didn't want to. 

It too much convincing but Oliver was dropped back to hogsmeade station with his parents and he was escorted to his dorm by McGonagall. She was considerate enough to not question anything and she silently left him at the door of the common room at night. 

No one knew Oliver had returned, except Alexander, but they were in the same dorm, Oliver couldn't avoid it. 
"you're back!" Alexander practically tackled him to the floor, "I was so worried!"
"What for?" He asked setting his bag down. 
"Well, you left, no explanation, and that dramatic line 'don't write to me'" Alexander poorly mocked his accent and Oliver rolled his eyes at the boy. 
"Makes sense" he shrugged. 
"So what happened?" He asked curiously. 
"I don't want to talk about it" Oliver sat down on his bed and ran his fingers through his hair. 
"Like, ever?" Alexander sat down beside him. 
"Now at least, and I would appreciate it if you don't ask until everything is fine"
"Fine, but tell me if you're in serious trouble? I'll help any way I can" 
"I will" Oliver gave him a small smile. He could always rely on Alexander, more than himself. 
"Did you meet anyone else?"
"No, I did get a letter from Delilah a day ago" Oliver chuckled. 
"She was really worried"
"I know, I just can't bring myself to tell anyone" 
"It's fine mate, she will understand" Alexander patted his back. 

The gryffindor boy gave Oliver all the updates of what he had missed. He made snarky comments about James, talked about Quiddtich practice, gave him the overview of the match he missed and told him that he broke up with Connor.
"Why?"
"It wasn't working out," Alexander shrugged, "but, we have talked it out and it won't strain the friendship in our group"
"Oh, are you okay?"
"It was a mutual decision, we needed a break" He then quickly moved on from the topic, "Also Harry has a new Firebolt"
Oliver's ears perked and his eyes widened, "No way! How?"
"Some stranger sent it to him"
"That's the best thing ever! we are so going to win this year, I can feel it!" He smiled and sat up straighter. 
"Also, you may have rubbed on to Delilah a little, she's scary during Quidditch practice" Alexander shuddered at the memory and Oliver laughed, "Nope, she's always been that way"

When Delilah saw Oliver in the morning, she too, completely tackled him. Her smile was wide and she felt relief wash over her, "You're not dead"
"I went home! not to war!" Oliver gave her an amused look. 
They all sat in the great hall together, all wondering what had happened with Oliver but no one asked him. Alexander had strictly told them all not to, he said it was something sensitive and not to be touched on. 

Oliver wasn't sure if James was being genuine or if he was taunting him when he approached Delilah asking about their daily Library homework session. He had been helping her with Potions but it wasn't nearly as intimate as he described. 

"Never missed a match, Wood" He smirked, "what happened?"
"What happened was that you lost" Oliver paused, "Again!"
"But it's not like you won against Hufflepuff either, you admitted it"
"At least I'm not in fourth place!" Oliver scoffed. 
"At least I'm not abandoning or hiding things from my girlfriend" James went too far. Oliver's head snapped to Delilah who was glaring at James and then snapped back to the Ravenclaw, "At least I'm not her ex" He won that battle for sure, but he did lose internally. What did Delilah say to James? Why did she talk to him about Oliver anyways?

Once James left, Oliver turned back to his cereal completely calm, cool and collected. It was definitely calm before a storm and everyone around them knew it. 

When everyone split up for their classes, Oliver turned to Delilah and asked, "What did you say to James?"
"Nothing- I mean I ranted a little bit" she felt guilt spread through her. 
"Why?"
"I don't know, he was right there, I blurted!"
"You know how much I hate him, he uses everything against me! That is one thing I asked you not to do! He's a jerk, a git!" He was annoyed, stressed and everything in between. 
"Look, I'm sorry-"
"What did you exactly say to him?" Trying to calm his nerves, Oliver took a deep breath. 
"Just that you were hiding something from me"
"Don't ever listen to what he says, you don't know him like I do" Oliver was a little more than mad at her. 

"I didn't mean it! It just happened, I'm sorry" Delilah told him. 
"I don't understand why you hang out with him! He is not good for you!"
"He's my friend"
"No! He's using you to get back at me!"
"Why would he need to get back at you?"
"He's jealous! of you and me, of losing, he's mad that you broke up with him"
"That was three years ago, he's more mature than that!"
"No he's not! If I'm not telling you something, I expect you to respect my privacy, somethings aren't for you! I can't tell you everything! He is an asshole and maybe it's time to choose between him and I" Oliver and Delilah both stopped in their steps.

"What?" she frowned. 
"Choose" Oliver crossed his arms over his chest. 
"I-I- can't just choose!" Delilah thought it was completely ridiculous. 
"are you really hesitating?" Oliver asked in disbelief. 
"It is you! I would choose you but we aren't choosing. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything but it just happened. I really am sorry"
"You know what? I have better things to be mad about, more important things." He walked past her and to his class. 

Oliver didn't give Delilah a silent treatment, instead he just gave her cold bitter replies. He had all the right to be mad at her. James couldn't be trusted, he used everything against Oliver because he was jealous of him. It was not Oliver's place to determine who Delilah could or could not be friends with but James was a different case, he was so annoying. 

Other than being swamped with homework and being in a cold war with Delilah, Oliver also had to worry about his upcoming court date. His mind was racing with possibilities, arguments, anything to stay away from his real mother. 

A match between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw was next and Oliver was tougher than ever with his team. He was mad and this was his of getting it all. He usually went to the pitch early morning and hit bludgers one after the other to take his anger out. 

Delilah did everything she could to apologize to Oliver but it was never enough. Oliver got even more mad when Hermione talked about Harry's broom being cursed. 

"Bad news, Harry. I've just been to see Professor McGonagall about the Firebolt. She – er, got a bit shirty with me. Told me I'd got my priorities wrong. Seemed to think I cared more about winning the Cup than I do about staying alive. Just because I told her I didn't care if it threw you off, as long as you caught the Snitch first." He explained to him. 

When it was time for the match, Oliver told Harry that he could knock Cho Chang off of her broom. It was partially because he was mad at James and partially because they had to beat Ravenclaw, no matter what.

He was on his broom, blocking the Quaffles as always but his mind was only focused on other things. He wanted to be in the moment but it was difficult. Everything was churning inside of him. James zoomed towards him on his broom and instead of targeting the hoop, he targeted Oliver. Luckily, Oliver had good reflexes when it came to Quidditch and that was when this match got personal. 

The victory against Ravenclaw made Oliver really happy, especially in front of James, but it didn't make his life perfect, it didn't help him. He didn't feel like celebrating, he had a lot of school work to catch up on and his brain just turned off, gave up on him. He didn't feel like a winner and he wasn't sure if he even wanted to. 

A/N 
I had a head start on this chapter because I planned on putting it in the previous chapter but split it so I thought why not? 
You're welcome XD
I hope you liked this chapter! Thanks for reading my book!!!
<3
Aisla Wrenn