10

I stopped when I heard a loud knock outside my office, I just set aside my readings and calm down, leaning my back on the chair and just wait until they went inside.

"Come in," I politely said

It's been 2 days since I talked to Dr. Asuncion and yes, everything went well according to plan. My Lola is getting better and Carter's Mom is still continuing her medication, with my check-ups and today is going to be her first therapy.

I already talked to her oncologist and I appoint this session today because this is his free time. I told him to perform radiation therapy to my patient and handle it as well, he immediately says yes, that's why it's the first day.

I also stopped opening social media dahil hindi siya healthy and focused myself on my patients. I haven't talked to any of my friends, except of course my best friend.

The old lady went inside and I welcomed her with a smile, she stood in front of me and greet me politely.

"Magandang araw, doktora..." She smiled

"Magandang araw po, maupo po kayo." I smiled back, gesturing her to sit down and also Carter.

I opened my papers and handed her the list of her agenda for today. As well as the things she'll encounter this day.

I looked at her, "Nanay, today ang first day mo sa radiation therapy. Huwag ho kayo mag-alala, sisiguraduhin lang po natin na wala ng cancer para maging maayos na ang buhay niyo po."

"Salamat po," She bowed her head

"Don't worry, hindi po ito masakit at mabilis lang po ang session," I assured

"Sige," She replied

I smiled, "Okay, Let's start."

I gestured them to follow me until we reached the place where therapy will be performed. We entered the room, the oncologist welcomed us and the machines were already fixed for the session.

I stand beside Mr. Densio and I faced Carter and his Mom.

"This is Mr. Densio, He will be your radiation oncologist. Siya po ang maghahandle sa inyo in your radiation therapy." I introduced him

Sinenyasan ko silang magsimula at ipinasunod ko si Carter sa'kin palabas ng kwarto. I sat in front of the monitor and watch what Mr. Densio is doing. I can feel Carter's presence beside me but whatever, I think he also needs to know how these things work.

——-

10 minutes passed and the session ended, lumabas na ang nanay ni Carter, wearing her hospital gown with her oncologist.

"Thank you, Dr. Densio." I politely offered my hand and he accepted it. We shook our hands, including Carter and his Mom.

He smiled, "Na-discuss ko na kay nanay ang nangyari at mga side effect ng therapy. I also reminded her about the things she needs to do. Thank you, Doktora. Until our next session,"

I nodded and wait until he went outside, I turned my body, facing his Mom, and giving her comfort through my eyes. I know natatakot siya dahil hindi biro ang therapy but she needs to trust us.

"We're done, si Carter nalang po ang kakausapin ko tungkol sa susunod na appointment."

I gestured Carter to follow me at ipinaupo niya muna ang nanay bago sumunod sa'kin. Carter told me na sa kaniya ko sabihin lahat dahil ayaw niyang ma-pressure or magpanic ang nanay niya. I'm doing this not because I want to lie, but to also protect the way she thinks.