『25』➳ big girls cry

『••✎••』
6:27pm...

you stood up quickly, nearly tripping over your own feet in the rush to leave, "i need to get going."

baekhyun cut himself off in surprise, wide brown eyes trained on your back because you were already up and away without another word.

you achieved only a few steps, fighting back a breakdown until there was a gentle tug on your arm. when you turned to look at him, baekhyun was pulling a face, pink lips tugged down in a deep frown and confused eyes searching your face.

"(y/n) wait, please, you can't just— a-are you breaking up with me?"

your expression quickly matched his, confused and hurt at the blatant ignorance. staring at his glassy brown eyes with a troubled look, you began slowly, fearing your voice would give you away. "we were over a long while ago, baekhyun. i wasted so much time, sitting around and wondering what i did wrong for you to walk out on me like that. don't you get it? it was you that split us up, not me."

he paled at your words, the first tear beginning to stream down his smooth skin. it seemed like your uncharacteristic serious had finally got the message through. taking his hand off of you, you shook your head lightly and let it drop so you were no longer looking at him, too. the facade wasn't going to last much longer. if there was one thing you hated, it was seeing him cry. and even worse than that, was being the cause of his pain.

when he spoke again, baekhyun's voice was frail, soft and breaking as he rushed out his words.
"i'm sorry, i'm sorry, i was stupid, and— and selfish. i didn't think about what i was doing to you," his eyes burned into your own, intense gaze turning distressed when he saw your face fall the longer he begged. nearly whimpering, "please, (y/n), i'll be better to you this time. i know what i did was wrong— i-i won't go anywhere and if i do, you're coming with me. this is our last year, yeah? i'll..."

why couldn't you say anything? everything was moving too fast, yet too slow for your liking. with that in mind, you weren't sure how much time had passed until a head was seated on your shoulder, arms circling your waist in a desperate embrace and warm breaths starting to tickle your neck. there was that citrusy smell of his conditioner. one you had grown so familiar to. that's when you realised he was hugging you. baekhyun cried, whispering broken apologies, and how he loved you.

there it was. simply, baekhyun was asking — begging for you back, saying he wanted you. if you could've, without crying and releasing all of the pent up emotion, you would've scoffed.

too little, too fucking late.

oh, how long you had waited to hear those words. they didn't give you the satisfaction and reassurance you hoped and craved for. by contrast, the complete opposite effect. although frustrated wasn't the word. was there a way to describe it? just when you were well on the way to forgetting about him, and had found someone else who actually made you happy, he decided to saunter back into your life. fucking about with your head and creating a wild tornado of confusion and hurt. it felt you were back to square one.

with the remnants of your mental strength, you stepped out of his embrace. sensitive to the cold spots on you where the wind had brushed his fallen tears, and a familiar heaviness settling around your body when you slowly shook your head. baekhyun caught on to the movement, however, a defeated sob leaving him as you took another step backwards. his dark eyes had already become surrounded by red, reflective under the fading light.