Chapter 27

With Cody's permission on letting Vincenzo went to Rome to escape from Martha's abusive husband, he quickly go back to his house and start to pack amount clothes and stuff that he thinks will enough for him to use for a few days since he went with them for a purpose of protecting his best friend and let's says he's on his exam break and needed a fresh air to breathe.

His parents did not ask him further question because he's an adult now and his parent's is very sure that their son will take a much responsibility to himself. Before they leave, Martha's spending a time in the old room that Cody's sister used to live in, and she's writing in a red book, Cody assumed she's writing a diary.

Martha sensed someone's watching her as she lifted up her head, she saw Cody is standing beside the door.

He puts both of his hands in the pocket and asked Martha, "what are you writing on?"
It took a while for Martha to proceed about what she read. She's asking back to him, "are you asking me what I'm writing about?" as she closed the red book.

Cody nodded and went towards the table while Martha put the book aside and said, "it's nothing, my daily life,"

Cody's hands went to reach the diary, but Martha stopped him and shook her head slowly to give a sign that he's not allowed to read that, making Cody smiled a bit.

"Why?? I want to read too," he's trying on grabbing the book one more time, but he failed as Martha took it and put it in the bag, and stick out her tongue.

Cody didn't try to get it anymore, instead he asked her," does your ear still hurt?"

Martha touched both of her ears and nodded her head while saying, "something it's echoing, and it is uncomfortable,"

"Do you want to see the doctor?" Cody suggested her. But she shook her head.

"That jerk, know almost every doctor and I'm sure he got spy everywhere," Martha said while smiling.

"Are you sure? I don't think he know this area well," Cody said as he went to sit on the bed.

"He's unpredictable, you will die in his hands if you're getting caught, don't sacrifice your veins just for my ear, it's not worth it," Martha said while facing him.

But Cody insisted on bringing her to the doctor, he said "how about we go to Vincenzo's dad, or we can ask for Vincenzo, he's a medical student," Cody will keep talking more if Martha didn't stop him.

So, Martha kissed him on the lips, just a small peck, but enough to shut Cody's mouth, of course left Cody become dumbfounded afterward.

"I'm fine really, you should worry about where we will stay after arriving Rome, not my ears," Martha's hand was caressing his cheeks.

"But, at least," Cody's nag will last all night if Martha's not arguing with him and tell him that she's fine.

"No, I'm fine really, let's wait for Vincenzo at outside then," Martha grabbed his hands and went outside the room to avoid more questions by Cody.

They waited while enjoying Texas's night sky for the last time, both sitting down on the grass.

"I'm damaged, I'm broken, my body is full of scar that will gross your eyes out, I can't I can't even hear my own voice," Martha blurted out these statements out of sudden while facing Cody who's sitting beside her.

"Then why are you telling me those?" Cody asked her back.

"Will you still love me after you know these? Because I'm not the girl that I used to be," Martha asked him while looking at his face this whole time and Cody give her a nod on his head.

They stared at each other for a while without saying any words, and Cody saw Vincenzo's figure walking closer to his house, and he waved his hands to let him know that they're sitting outside, seeing that sight, making Martha smiling more and showing her teeth more, as Vincenzo walk closer near to Cody's house, he come with his backpack and he put it down on the grass and sit near to Cody.

"What are you guys talking about?" Vincenzo asked both of them as they're quiet after he came.

Looking at them still stay quiet, Vincenzo said, "Oh, both of you were talking about me, I see," Vincenzo make a conclusion with nod on his head.

"Who exactly you are, that makes us want to talk about you," Cody scoffed narcissistically while saying that.

"Watch your mouth," Vincenzo said while laughing.

The three of them sitting on the grass just staring at the night sky before their escape without plan, the three of them were talking about random stuff, Vincenzo's the mood maker there, he basically just tells them his life, and make it funny enough so that his two other friends can laugh.

"can we go to have a coffee after arriving there tomorrow? Three of us?" Martha suggested the idea for tomorrow after they arrive there.

"the thing is, we don't know if we can arrive there alive, do you think your husband will not putting a spy everywhere? He will, and we had to be super careful tomorrow," Vincenzo said while looking at her, and he continued by pointing Cody and said, "that's why I don't let you go there alone, you will be drowning in the sea without me knowing,"

"I'm not that hopeless actually, you're making me look weak here," Cody glared at him while saying that.

"You are weak and hopeless, you just realize that?" Vincenzo mocking him more after Cody glared him.

"I'm sure we will be fine, I can guarantee that," Martha said that while smiling.

"how are you so sure? Your husband is crazy," Vincenzo scoffed a little after he heard Martha assuring that they will be fine.

"because I have both of you stay by my side," Martha smiled while saying that, "I have both of you protecting me, and I'll be fine, if I'm fine then the rest of us will be fine," her calm voice somehow sooth Cody and Vincenzo, the two of them had been nervous since they had a plan on escaping.

"but, there's one thing that I'm curious of, if back then I was the one who noticed you first and I can afford to pay all your dad's debt you're not this struggle today right? And will you love me first if I'm the one who notice you first?" Vincenzo asked Martha out of sudden.

"I think so? "Martha shrugged while saying that.

"then you will marry me if that's happening?" Vincenzo asked her one more time.

"That's correct and you understand it very well, but I'm not going to marry someone because of their money, and I'm not going to repeat it anymore, once is enough not in my next life I guess," Martha sighed as she said that.

"if I can turn back time, I will probably run away from home and find out how I'm going to live on my own," she paused for a few second and look down on the grass then she continued," what's the use of my skills on playing chords? If I'm married already to a crazy husband? I can barely hear a piano anymore," Martha shed a few drops of tears as she let out her thoughts.

She wiped her tears and smiled, with so much sadness in her eyes, she said, "let's not waste more time anymore, before we get caught, we should quickly run," and she gets up from her seat and went inside the house to grab the suit case and went to run as she said.