Chapter 9

Picture of Brody

Song~~ 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' by Green Day
**************************

Brody’s POV

It’s Friday night and my dad’s boss is coming over for dinner. A couple weeks ago when he mentioned the promotion at the dinner we had with the Hart's next door he said he was very excited about it and had a good feeling he had it in the bag.

I don’t know why but as soon as I heard about it something felt wrong, not right at all and it made me nauseous. That’s why I got tense when it was mentioned at the mall the other day. I don’t know how to describe the feeling I get. I just know it isn’t settling right with me.

I get up from my bed and go downstairs. I’ve been in my room reading for the last two hours trying to make time go by faster. I take my reading glasses off, I hate these things but I can’t read without them.

Angel says they make me look like a sexy nerd so I’ve grown to like them a little more, only when she’s around to admire them on me though. I think that’s why I’m getting so nervous and nauseous about this whole promotion thing. For some reason I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach that I’m going to be taken away from My Angel and I can’t let that happen.

Once I get to the kitchen I see my mom working hard at the stove. I walk up to her and give her a kiss on the cheek making her jerk back a little.

“Hey momma!" I say looking at her weird as I open the fridge to get a drink.

“Hello, my sweet boy! As much as I love you I still don't understand why you thought you needed that thing in your nose." She says shaking her head. 

"I'm a teenager mom, there's a lot of things you don't understand about me. Smells good!” I say with a laugh and get my nose close enough to smell the wonderful food she's cooking.

"I’m hoping our guests love it. I thought it would just be he and his wife but apparently they're bringing their kids too. They have a twelve year old son and an eighteen year old daughter that's graduating high school this year.” She looks nervous but excited at the same time. I place a hand on her shoulder and pull her in for a hug.

“Oh, mom, I’m sure they’ll love whatever you make for them. Besides your homemade lasagna is the best so even if they don’t eat it you know J and I will.” I say throwing my head back laughing because we both know us boys love her cooking. 

“Yes, my sweet Brody! I know I can always count on my boys to eat the leftovers. Don't forget Jake, now that you guys are growing so fast and bulking up I can’t hardly keep up with your appetites.” She laughs with me shaking her head.

“Will you run upstairs to get your brother please? They should be here any minute and dinner is almost ready. I need you boys to set the table.”  She says while she finishes chopping the last bit of the salad topping. 

“Yes ma’am.” I run upstairs and find Jamie looking in the bathroom mirror talking to himself. Ooh, now this I’ve gotta see. I grab my phone out of my pocket, look for the camera then hit record.

“..I don’t think you could handle all of this.” He flexes his muscles in the mirror then kisses his left bicep. Oh, this is gold!

“What’s a pretty lady like you doing in a place like this? Ugh, no that’s stupid.” He shakes his head then looks back in the mirror taking a deep breath.

“I don’t normally do the whole girlfriend thing but would you-. Ugh, no! I'm so lame. I can get any girl I want but when it comes to asking a girl to be mine I can’t do it or even come up with a smooth enough line.” He's says in frustration.