Chapter 22

5 days later

“Nooo! Come back!” I wake up screaming then wipe the sweat from my neck and forehead with the sleeve of Brody’s red sweater. Speaking of BB, where is he?

Even though I’ve had that same dream every night this week the smell of Brody next to me helps me sleep. One problem about this dream is every time I have it someone else dies in my arms. First Brody, then Jake, dad and now my mom. I can’t take this anymore, I need to get out of this hospital!

Everyone has been in and out of here all week but Brody and I haven’t left, not once. Our moms bring us clothes to shower, the hospital provides food which I don’t eat much of due to lack of appetite and there are so many friends and loved ones coming to visit I’m about to lose my mind.

Cassie has been here a couple days but left a few hours ago to go to her parents house to get some rest. She’s going to college thirty miles away so she'll live  there during school. 

We were bummed when we found out we aren’t going to the same colleges but we want different things from life so I guess it’s part of the whole college experience. Speaking of which, I don’t know how I’m supposed to pull it together to start school in a couple days.

I’m so thankful to be going to the same college with my boys. Brody wants to be a photographer, I will be in dance, Jake and Jamie are both pursuing graphic design so they can create video games so fine arts school has something for all of us.

Our school is only ten minutes away at the Fine Arts School of North Carolina. Even though the twins started school in Brazil they ended up finding this school to transfer to for this year. But now, with school starting in a couple days, I know they won’t be starting school with us. 

As I’m thinking of everything, I mindlessly walk through the hallways of the hospital until I find myself outside. When the cool night breeze hits me I instantly breathe in and out slow. 

Just breathe, A, iiin...oouut...iiiin...oouut!  I think to myself, after a few times I start to feel better and more relaxed. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard someone talk.

“Hey, are you alright?” I hear his soothing voice say as he stands up from the bench he was sitting on.

“Hey, there you are. Yeah, I just needed to get out of there. It’s suffocating at times a-and…” I start to say but stop because I haven’t told anyone I’m having these nightmares. 

I know they’ll just tell me it’s part of the trauma and try to give me medicine to help me cope but I don’t want that. I already know why it’s happening, I just don’t understand why I keep losing everyone I love each time I have the dream.

How long will this go on? How many more people do I have to lose?  I wonder silently as he wraps his arms around me to keep me warm.

“I’ve been having nightmares, BB. T-the dream is so real and every time I have it I lose someone else I love. Jamie is driving us home from shopping and we’re hit by a drunk driver, the back passenger is the one who changes every time I have the dream. Jamie dies before I get out of the car then I hear someone yell my name and their bleeding out as they die in my arms every damn time.” I say angrily then my voice starts to crack from the emotions caused by the fresh dream I just had.  

“First you, then Jake, dad a-and I just now woke up because I lost mom. I-I don’t know why my mind is doing this to me? I just want it to s-stop.” I tell him through eyes full of tears and a voice full of emotion.