Chapter 21

How could this happen? They were just sitting in the living room with me and Brody and now…

*Beep*...*Beep*

“Alex, sweetie. You haven’t said anything since you walked in a couple hours ago. Talk to me, sweetheart.” I hear a faint male voice say somewhere beside me.

*Beep*...*Beep*

“Alex?” my dad once again tries to get my attention but all I can do is cling to Jake’s arm in silence. 

*Beep*...*Beep*

“Wait! Where’s Brody? Where’s Jamie?” My emotionally cracked voice asks frantically then I look at Jake.

“B-but I can’t leave Jake, daddy. What do I do?” I start to sob, finally letting it sink in and let it all out.

“Shh, it’s ok, sweetie. They’re in good hands, these are the best doctors in the state and they’ve told me Jake and Jamie both have a chance of sur-” As he speaks his words start to scramble together and everything starts to go black. 

Next morning

*Beep*...*Beep*

Ugh, I wish someone would shut that noise up! 

*Beep*...*Beep*

“BB, will you please see what that stupid noise is and shut it up?” I say without opening my eyes but don’t get any response back.

*Beep*...*Beep*

“Ughhh, what is th-” I start to say but as I open my eyes I realize I’m in the hospital next to Jake. 

“Oh sweetheart, you’re finally awake! Are you hungry or thirsty?” My mom says from the couch behind me, stretching her body out as if she was asleep too.

“Mom!” I say emotionally then run to her.

“Oh, Alex!” She says back with the same emotions...fear and worry!

“I don’t understand how this happened. He was just in my living room one minute then the next I’m looking at him in critical condition in the hospital.” I sob out as she comforts me with her own silent tears...just as I did with BB earlier. 

“Oh, my God! How is Jamie? Have the doctors said anything? You have to take me to see him, mom..oof....please!” I tell her, trying to hurry to get up but almost trip over my wobbly legs so I slow down, getting desperate.

“I’ll take you, dear.” She whispers as she slowly walks close to me.

I get myself together and walk to Jake’s bed, I grab his hand and squeeze it tight before bringing it to my tear stained lips. I use my left hand to move some of his crazy, sweaty brown hair from his forehead then think of something funny. 

“I’ll make sure to find the cutest nurse I can to give you a sponge bath, bro. You need it!” I say with a chuckle just before the tears creep back up on me.

“I’ll be right back, I need to check on our besties. BB needs me and I need to know how J is…” I suck in a deep breath to keep from crying then I continue.

“I-I love you, J-Jake.” I whimper out then quickly turn away in order to gain control of my emotions. 

“Let’s go, mom. I need to see my boys.” I tell her as I loop my left arm through her right arm. 

She kisses me gently on the forehead then leads the way. We go to the elevator and to another floor. When we step out of the elevator the first sign I see says ‘ICU’ and it hit me hard, causing me to fall to the floor.