:: Chapter 4 :: Wands

The wand was the last thing on their list, other then a pet. Harry was licking at his ice cream with a sleepiness from their long day out.

"Dad my feet hurt." Harry told Percy as they got towards their destination.

"We'll be done soon, hang in there okay? I'll make your favorite dinner later, sound good?" Percy says amused by his son as they entered Olivanders.

It was a narrow and shabby shop with gold lettering peeling over the doorway they entered, a single wand lay in the dusty window where Harry had finally realized they were finally there. A tinkling bell went off in the depths of the shop when they stepped towards the counter, where nobody stood. The floor was empty except for dust and a spindly chair Percy sat in to wait. There were rows of endless narrow shoe like boxes lined up to the ceiling behind the counter. It looked like it didn't stop.

Harry felt like he was in a strict library, very different from the bookstore they were just in. He shuddered a little at the thought of a certain gods library. He nearly got lost in it.

The dust seemed to be filled with a certain mystery even if it was just dust, making Harry fidget in place. Then he remembered something. Another reason libraries made him nervous. "Dad this reminds me of our home library." They both laughed.

Before Percy could respond someone else's voice floated to their ears. "Good afternoon." Said the soft old voice of the old man now behind the counter.

Harry jumped at his arrival, hearing his father too jump and get out of the chair he had sat in.

The old man before them was spindly and thin, white as snow hair and wide pale eyes shining like moons through the gloom of the shops interior.

"Hello." Harry said awkwardly as his father came to stand behind him in silent support.

"Ah yes," said the moon as he looked at Harry, his eyes seeming to look through him in a way that made Harry feel slightly exposed. "Yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. Harry Potter." It wasn't a question and it made Harry frown. "You have your mother's eyes. It seems only yesterday she came in here herself, buying her first wand. Ten a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wand for charm work." He said in a listless way.

'Only if he knew' Percy snorted, while Harry got his fathers voice in his head and tried not to laugh as well.

Olivander moved closer to Harry who didn't dare blink, the silvery eyes of he old man were a bit creepy. "Your father on the other hand, favored a mahogany wand. Eleven inches. Pliable. A little more power and excellent at transfiguration. Well, I say your father favored it. When it's really the wand that chooses the wizard of course." He spoke getting closer, touching the scar on his forehead with a long white finger. 'I feel assaulted' Harry thought as Olivander continued. "I'm sorry to say that I sold the wand that did it. Thirteen and a half inches. Yew. Powerful wand, very powerful and in the wrong hands.....well, if I'd known what that wand was going out into the world to do..." he shook his head then, and to Harry's relief spotted his father.

"Oh shite..." his father muttered under his breath.

"Percy Jackson! How lovely to see you again, sea wood, thirteen and flexible wasn't it?" He said with a doey look.

Harry confused as it didn't look like any wood when he saw it, but when his father put another wand up that was much plainer then the first, he understood his father had two wands.

"Yup." His father replied with a tight smile.

"Powerful wand that one." Olivander says.

"Mhm." Percy hummed as he shuffled his feet.