8 - Defense Against the Dark Arts

October 16th

It was now mid October. Dolores Umbridge had quite literally taken over most of Hogwarts, setting in place hundreds of ridiculous rules that made school absolutely miserable. I couldn't count how many times a day I would complain about her. She'd come to nearly every class interrogating teachers on their skills and ways. The only time I'd found her amusing is when she insulted Snape to his face during class. Ron snorted on accident, therefore receiving detention and a hit on the head.

"Could she just die already?" I ranted, sipping my pumpkin juice at breakfast. "Come on," Fred and George pulled us up from the table, a crowd of students following them. "What is it?" I asked, as Fred dragged us all outside into the courtyard. "We've got a new game," he smiled. "What is it?" Hermione asked. "It's a mini spark, you throw it around and whoever's hand it explodes in loses. Let's demonstrate, Freddie," George smiled, throwing the spark into the air.

It was like a mini firework. We all watched in amusement as they ran around the courtyard, throwing it up and down. "You've got to be kidding me," I scoffed as the pink pygmy puff bitch (as Ginny and I would call her,) walked up to us, disintegrating the spark before the game was over. The crowd booed as she walked away, a smug smile on her face.

During the afternoon, Draco and I, along with a large crowd of students, stood in front of the large 'rules' wall in the entrance besides the great hall. Filch was pasting three new ones up. "No music??" I scowled at Draco. "You're bloody joking," he scoffed. 'Proper dress code' and 'All Weasley's games banned' were also hung onto the wall. "This is ridiculous," Ron yelled from the other side of the room.

November 24th

A crowd of students were gathering in the courtyard. "What's happening?" I caught up to Draco, grabbing his hand as we walked outside. "It's Professor Trelawney," he explained. "What about her?" I asked. "I heard Umbitch is kicking her out," he scoffed. We stood at the side of the courtyard as Trelawney stood in the center, Filch shoving her bags at her. Umbridge walked out of the main doors. "16 years I've lived at Hogwarts, Hogwarts is my home, you can't do this," Professor Trelawney cried. I sat my head on Draco's shoulder, looping his arm in mine quietly. "Actually I can," Umbridge smiled evilly.

Professor McGonagall ran towards her, pulling Professor Trelawney into a hug. "It's alright Sybil," she exclaimed. "Something you'd like to say, dear?" Umbridge cooed. "Oh there are several things I would like to say," Professor McGonagall spat, giving Umbridge the dirtiest look I'd ever seen. Suddenly, the doors opened with a bang, revealing Dumbledore.

"Professor McGonagall, might I ask you to escort Sybil back inside," he boomed. "Professor Dumbledore, might I remind you that I-" "You have a right to dismiss my teachers, but you don't have the authority banish them from the grounds," he yelled strictly at her. "Might I remind you that I'm still headmaster," "For now," she smiled at him, walking back into the building. "She's insane," I whispered to Draco. "I know," he scoffed.

"Don't you all have studying to do?" Dumbledore mumbled, turning back into the building. "I've got to meet Hermione, but I'll catch you later okay?" I pulled Draco into a side corridor, giving him a long kiss, his hands lingering at my waist before I turned to go back to the common room. "That foul gargoyle," Hermione was pacing in front of the fireplace as I entered. Harry and Ron sat silent on the couch. "We're not learning how to defend ourselves, we're not learning how to pass our OWL's," she ranted. "She's taking over the entire damn school," I scoffed, plopping down on a chair in the corner.

Harry suddenly turned up the radio that sat next to him. The Minister was speaking. "We have reason to believe that these disappearances are in correlation to mass murderer, Sirius Black," he exclaimed. "Bullshit," I walked over to it, pressing the off button with as much force as I could, almost thinking if I pressed it hard enough it would shut up the minister himself. "Harry!" we heard a cough from the fireplace. I turned swiftly, my braid hanging on my shoulder. "Sirius?" Harry sat in front of the fireplace. I ran over, sitting next to him.

"I saw your letter, said you were worried about Umbridge. What'd she do?" he asked. "She's overtaking the entire school," I scoffed. "We're not allowed to use magic at all," Harry added. "Well, I'm not surprised," he sighed. "The latest information is that the Ministry doesn't want you trained in combat," Sirius continued. "What does he think, we're forming some form of wizard army?" Ron scoffed. "They think Dumbledore is assembling his own forces to take on the Minister," "Bullshit," I scoffed. Sirius smirked at me. "Sorry," I looked at the ground.

"The Minister becomes more paranoid every minute. The others wouldn't want me to tell you this, but, things at the order aren't going very well. These disappearances aren't helping our forces, and Voldemort gains numbers every day," he sighed. "Things feel just as they did before... Voldemort is on the move," Sirius continued. "Sirius, do you mind if I have a word?" I asked. "Sure, but make it quick," he exclaimed. Harry, Ron and Hermione went to discuss in the corner.

"What is it, Caroline?" he asked. "There's an issue, or it may end up being an issue," I sighed. "I've been dating Draco Malfoy since last year, and I feel as though it may end up being a problem during this entire process. I would never switch sides, I swear on my Mother, but I don't know what he's going to do," I ranted. "This may seem like a problem, but at the moment if you're someone he trusts, you're our eye inside," Sirius exclaimed. "I don't think Draco has bad intentions, but he might be forced into it. I'm not sure," I sighed.

"In the eyes is where you can find the answer to any question, Caroline, if you search hard enough to find it," he said. "Someone's coming, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help; it looks like you're on your own. For now at least. Stay safe. All of you," he dissapeared into the flames.

"He really is out there, isn't he?" Hermione stared out the window, rain thundering down onto the castle in buckets. "We've got to learn to defend ourselves, and if Umbridge refuses to teach us how, we need someone who will," Hermione exclaimed. We all turned and looked at Harry.

"Don't look at me," he stared.