32 - Fallacies

"It's not real Draco," I whispered. He couldn't stop staring at it. "It's not real, do you hear me?" I said a bit louder. "Look at me," his head slowly turned, his eyes filled with fear as he looked over to me. "It isn't real. Kill it," I begged, not wanting to look at it any longer. "Ridikkulus," he muttered. The boggart turned into a white song bird, fluttering itself back into the cabinet. Lupin stared from Draco to me, my eyes meeting his gaze. "Class dismissed," he said, nearly at a whisper.

Draco ran out, leaving Hermione, Harry and I standing in awe. "I'll talk to him," I walked off silently, running through the halls. I heard crying as I walked past the boys bathroom. "Draco?" I said, pushing the door open slowly. He sat curled in a ball against the wall, his face buried in his hands. I stood silently in front of him, crouching down. "Get out," he whimpered. "Draco please," "I don't want to talk about it, would you please just leave," he cried.

"Don't try to push me away," I curled up next to him, leaning my head against his shoulder. "Everyone's gonna make fun of me," he sniffled. "Nobody should ever make fun of someone for having a heart," I whispered, as he looked over to me. "When we first met, I had no idea you'd become this important to me," he broke, finally allowing the thoughts he'd contained in his mind for so long to slip from his lips.

"I wish I could erase that image from my mind," he grumbled. "Me too," I cuddled up beside him, still sitting on the cold, glossy tile bathroom floor. "It looked so real," he stammered. "Try not to think about it," I whispered. "You know, from the moment I saw you in Diagon Alley for the first time, I mean the first time getting a real good look at you, it was like I knew you. You felt like home." "And yet we'd never spoken before," I giggled, remembering how innocent and pure we were, as though the world hadn't been thrown on our shoulders just yet.

"Just promise me you won't push me away out of fear, Draco," I buried my head in his shoulder. "I can promise I won't do it out of fear, but if it comes to protecting you, I'll do whatever it takes, even if it means never speaking to you again," he whispered. My heart sunk. "Draco, I know something's happening. What's going on? What are they making you do?" I said, my voice calm, trying to pry it out of him. "I can't tell you," "But don't you want to be on the good side?" "I do but, they're gonna kill me if I don't do this," he sighed, his voice faltering.

"There are people here, we can help," I pleaded. "I can't do that," he shook his head. "Why would you have to push me away to keep me safe? I don't want to never talk to you again," I said, staring into his grey eyes. "Bellatrix is my Mother's sister," he choked. "What?" "I didn't have the heart to tell you," he stood up, leaving me on the ground. "Draco, are you serious?" "I didn't ask to be involved, I didn't ask to be thrown into this mess," his voice suddenly got more defensive.

"I know, it's just- why? Why us? I just want to be happy with you," I whimpered. "I know, but with the person who wants you dead so close to me, she can't know about us," he said. "Why?" "You don't want to hear my answer," he whispered, before walking out the door, leaving me on the cold tile.

And that's when my tears began to fall.

DRACO'S POV

I felt bad for leaving her there in the bathroom by herself, but I forced myself to walk back to my dormitory. My Mother had said my task would involve a student at Hogwarts, and I'd assumed it would be Potter, but remembering that Bellatrix knew of Caroline's power, I couldn't help but think she was the one they were speaking of.

I scribbled a note onto some parchment.

Which student?

Then walked up to the Owlery, giving it to my owl as it flew away.

CAROLINE'S POV

It was now dinnertime. I sat with Ginny, Hermione and Harry, discussing what had happened during Dark Arts. "Did you see his face? I mean he was genuinely worried, I've never seen him so terrified before," Hermione said. "To be honest Caroline, Lupin had thought Draco was using you to get to the order, but after that," Harry mumbled. "There's no way in hell Lupin isn't convinced now, he saw it with his own eyes," I said.

"Lupin will probably alert the order that Draco's not involved," Ron stated. "I mean, just because he cares about me doesn't mean he's not involved. He said something about a task, I think," I said between bites of chicken. "He has seemed a bit off lately," Harry said. "I feel bad for him," I sighed, no longer hungry. I wondered what he'd be forced to do.

"Is there any way you could try to figure out his task, Caroline? Like, go snooping or something, I know it's a lot to ask," Hermione said. "I'll do my best," I sighed. I really didn't want to go behind Draco's back, but it was for the better of the order.

We walked back to the common room, and I decided to go to sleep. I curled up in my warm blankets and pillows, staring at the stars that twinkled outside my window. Ginny and Hermione followed after me shortly after. Now I had to figure out how to find out Draco's plan; but then again, it wasn't really his.

It was The Dark Lord's.