16 - Interconnection

CAROLINE'S POV

I woke up in the dark hospital wing. It was already night time. Draco was dozed off in the chair next to me, the moonlight from the large glass window shining on his blonde messy hair. "Draco," I moved my arm to tap his shoulder, wincing at the pain in my chest. "Draco," I grabbed his arm. He startled awake, brushing his hair out of his face. "You're awake," he smiled, taking my hand in his. "Did we win?" I whispered. "You've been out for three days, and the first thing you ask is, 'did we win'?" he chuckled at me, pulling his chair closer to me.

"Draco tell me," I whined, sitting up, still in pain. "Be careful," he placed his hand on my back, adjusting my pillow to help me sit upwards. "So?" I questioned him. "Unfortunately, you guys won," he mumbled. "You shouldn't have helped me," I exclaimed softly, squeezing his hand. "We didn't deserve to win after what they did to you. Gryffindor won fair and square," he answered. "Wow, I have really softened you, haven't I, 'Gryffindor won fair and square' is the last thing I think I'd ever hear come out of your mouth," I scoffed jokingly.

"I'm only soft around you, you wouldn't catch me dead saying that in front of Potter," he answered defensively, but I could see the smile that sat on his face in the moonlight. "I can live with that," I giggled. We sat quietly as he looked into my eyes, reaching a hand up to brush a strand of hair behind my ear. "How is it that you've been asleep for three days and have two broken ribs, but you still look literally perfect?" he smiled quietly. "Oh shut up," I rolled my eyes at him, but I couldn't hide the cheesy grin that lingered on my face, heat rising up into my cheeks.

"I'm not kidding," he smiled at me, but I could tell he was being serious. "You should get some sleep, I'll be alright here," I changed the subject. "You sure?" "I'm sure," I gave him an assuring smile. "Don't go anywhere," he kissed my hand before walking off. "Wasn't planning on it," I smiled, drifting back to sleep on my pillow.

The next morning...

My stomach was grumbling when I woke up in the infirmary. Luckily Draco walked in with a few pumpkin pasties. "Thank Merlin, I'm bloody starving," I groaned, taking one out of his hand as he sat down next to me. "I think I'm able to leave today," I grinned as I devoured my breakfast. "I'd bloody hope so, it's been four days," he grumbled. "You should be out in a few dear, I have two more evaluations before yours then you'll be on your way," Madam Pomfrey said from across the room.

After the other two students in the infirmary got evaluated it was my turn. She put the last of the bruise paste on my side. I was still quite sore, but I'll be alright. Once she'd allowed me to leave, Draco walked me back up to my room. Ginny and Hermione were down at breakfast. "What're your plans for the night?" he asked, plopping down on my bed. "Not sure, I've been asleep for three days," I scoffed as I walked into the bathroom, downing a few aspirins too many with a glass of water. "Don't bloody drug yourself," he opened the door. "I only just got my ribs broken," I rolled my eyes with a smile.

"We should go somewhere," he suggested, leaning against the frame of the bathroom door. "I'll have to ask Hermione if we've got plans first," I sighed, walking up to him. "Can't you come with me instead for once, or do you, you know, have secret Gryffindor business against Umbridge that I shouldn't know about?" he questioned me. "Don't interrogate me, that's Umbridge's job," I rolled my eyes. "Do you?" he asked. I was taken aback at how serious he'd become. "Why would I tell you?" I wrapped my arms around his shoulders. "I'm not a snitch, at least to you," he looked down into my eyes, wrapping his hands around my waist carefully, as to not hurt me any further.

"If I can make plans with you, I'll tell you," I assured him. "You better," he leaned downwards, planting a soft kiss on my lips. "What are you two doing in here?" Ginny giggled, but Draco didn't pull away. "I- we, um," I stuttered over my words as I pulled away, looking down at the floor. "You're cute when you're flustered," Draco smirked at me, running his finger along my chin before walking out the door.

"What's going on? Malfoy just left the common room, I thought-" Hermione entered, seeing my face flushed red. "Well, at least we know you're awake," Hermione smirked at me. "No snogging, remember we share that bathroom," Ginny rolled her eyes jokingly, sitting down on her bed. "Are you alright?" Hermione asked. "Yeah, just a bit sore but I'll be fine," I sat down. "Malfoy beat up the boys who did that to you if it makes you feel any better," Ginny smiled. "I'm not surprised," I chuckled lightly, Lorelei jumping up onto my bed next to me.

"Anyways, I was going to ask you, have I missed anything important from Dumbledore's Army practices?" I asked them. "We just started going over patronuses, but we haven't tried casting them yet. We are tonight if you're up for it," Hermione said. "Sure," I smiled. I've always wanted to learn the patronus charm. "Didn't Draco say he wanted to make plans with you tonight?" Ginny asked.

"I'll just make up some sort of excuse."