New arrivals

"New place here I come!"

Luz shouted excitedly as she jumped out of her mother's car, her feet made a loud crunching sound as they made contact with the pavement and the leaves under her. Camilia chuckled from inside that car as she saw her daughter excitedly jumping around. "It's nice to see you so excited mija but you might need to tone it down a little. Eda might not know how to deal with your constant energy."

"Of course mami," Luz said, rubbing the back of her neck sheepishly as her mother exited the car.

They both walked over to the large house that was standing at the side of the road, surrounded by trees. Luz couldn't contain her excitement, this whole place looked like the best treehouse ever.

Camilia knocked on the door and that was when Luz realized that there was an owl carved onto the door. Granted it only looked like the head of an owl but as she looked at it more it almost seemed as if the owl could actually fly out of the door even though it was obviously carved into the wood of the door.

It didn't take long for some commotion to be heard coming from inside the house. Luz held her breath as the door swung open and a tall, grinning woman was looking down at her. "Hey! You're early." Camilia nodded. "Sorry Eda, I just wanted Luz here to have more time to get used to the place."

Eda hummed, looking up at the sky and the moon that was present in the sky. "Huh, well you could have at least waited until morning but whatever. Come in then." Luz took a step towards the door opening when her mother spoke again. "Thanks again Eda, I don't know what I would have done without you."

"Aw shucks Cam, it's fine. I'm sure your kid will be fun to have around." Eda stated, patting Camilia on the shoulder.

Luz turned back and tackled Camilia into a hug. "Are you leaving already, mami?" Camilia nodded sadly. "I'm sorry Luz, the drive back is going to take hours and I can't be late for work." Camilia hugged Luz tightly. "I'm going to miss you mija."

When they pulled away Luz smiled up at Camilia. "I promise to text you every day." Camilia chuckled. "Thank you, Luz. Don't miss me too much though. I want you to enjoy your time here, this is your last year in high school after all."

Luz waved as her mother left. When the car finally disappeared down the road Eda cleared her throat loudly. "Well kid, I'm Eda and welcome to the owl house." Luz gasped. "You call your house the owl house?" Eda chuckled, amused by the energy that Luz seemed to be constantly radiating. "Yeah. You gotta establish the differences between your house and others you know?" Luz nodded enthusiastically and followed Eda inside.

The inside of the house was large and seemed to be both full and empty at the same time. The space was wide and the carpeted floor was clear of any dust. Luz ran around what she assumed was the living room, staring in awe at the candles around the room and the large, plush couch that was set against the wall on the right side of the room. A few large chests were also stashed in the corner of the room and a few posters hung from the wall, each with some elaborate design of what looked like owls and monsters.

Luz was about to reach out and touch a cool looking ax that was leaning against the wall when Eda stepped in. "Ah ah ah, no touching things that look like they could kill you. I don't want you to get injured on your first day here. Though I should probably say night..."

"This place is so cool!" Luz exclaimed, observing the other weapons that seemed to be scattered around the room. Eda bit her lip. "Hmm, I should have probably child-proofed this place beforehand. Oh well."

Eda stepped towards Luz and clapped her hands together. "Okay so, since you came early and I didn't have time to prepare your room yet you might need to wait here a little." Luz nodded in understanding. "Okay, I'll just wait here then."