𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞. dead of night

FOURTY-ONE:dead of night — orville peck

FOURTY-ONE:
dead of night — orville peck

FOURTY-ONE:dead of night — orville peck

( 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆, 𝟏𝟕 )

There was a silence that followed their ascent into the skies.

The sort of silence filled with trepidation and bated breaths; waiting for the worst to befall them. The calm before the storm. She eyed the others breaking off in the other directions, while Bill remained a steady presence at her side.

The surprisingly cool wind of July brushed against her cheeks.

Then there were screams. Oh, such awful frightened screams that pierced through the phantom veil of tranquility.

Out of the darkness, four Death Eaters surrounded her and Bill like menacing spectres about to swallow them whole. She raised her wand.

"Exp-"

"Stupefy!" Meredith was faster, sending the Death Eater spiralling through the sky and into the river below. It was strange hearing Harry's voice cast the spell but from her own lips. Bill had taken out two of the other Death Eaters with some tricky spell that she had never heard of before; it payed to be older and more experience. She would have to ask him to teach it to her later. But she wasn't in the classroom now.

This was real life. This was the war.

The war that they'd been unknowingly fighting all these years. Her joining Dumbledore's Army. Her fighting alongside his army in the Department of Mysteries. Her leaving Draco on that fateful night in the Astronomy Tower. Her clutching his dying body after his fight with Harry in the bathroom. Her finding out about Draco's task. Her fighting against Death Eaters as they attempted to take her school. Her kissing him as her whole world fell apart. Her finding out about her father. Her deciding that this was it: her role in the war.

"Confringo!"

The last of the four Death Eaters went soaring back, tossed out of balance by her blasting spell, and Bill and Meredith took this as their chance to zip off. There would be more soon. There would always be more.